MEDFORD, Mass. – The Worcester State University men's indoor track & field team placed 5th of 14 teams in attendance Saturday at the Branwen Smith-King Invitational hosted by Tufts University, as the team saw great performances from John Ojukwu (Stow, Mass.) in the 60 Meter, Marques Johnson (West Hartford, Conn.) in the 600 Meter Run, and a combination of jumpers and throwers.
January 27, 2018
Branwen Smith-King Invitational
1st Place: Stonehill (147)
2nd Place: Tufts (119)
3rd Place: MIT (85.50)
4th Place: Amherst (76)
5th Place: Worcester State (63)
6th Place: Plymouth State (45.50)
7th Place: Wesleyan (36)
8th Place: Connecticut College (35)
9th Place: Wentworth (27)
10th Place: Assumption (18)
11th Place: Brandeis (17.50)
12th Place: Fitchburg State (14.50)
13th Place: Keene State (7)
14th Place: Regis (6)
WORCESTER STATE TOP-PERFORMERS
- John Ojukwu – 1st Place in 60 Meter Dash (7.02)
- Justin Lewis – 1st Place in High Jump (2.14m/7-00.25), 7th Place in Triple Jump (12.27m/40-03.25)
- Marcus Vieira – 1st Place in Weight Throw (18.20m/59-08.50), 7th Place in Shot Put (13.71m/44-11.75)
- Marques Johnson – 3rd Place in 600 Meter Run (1:24.29)
- Eddy Acuna – 4th Place in Shot Put (14.37m/47-01.75)
- Anthony Christo – 4th Place in Weight Throw (16.02m/52-06.75)
- Ryan Connolly – 5th Place in Long Jump (6.08m/19-11.50), 10th Place in Triple Jump (11.87m/38-11.50)
- 4x400 Meter Relay: Marc George, Jeff Davis, Patrick Scheeler, Marques Johnson – 6th Place (3:33.60)
- Markiesh Harmon – 8th Place in High Jump (1.88m/6-02.00), 9th Place in Triple Jump (12.07m/39-07.25)
- Jacob Roumanos – 8th Place in Weight Throw (14.11m/46-03.50), 10th Place in Shot Put (13.25m/43-05.75)
Worcester State's freshman transfer, Ojukwu, was a nice surprise for the Lancers as he earned the top spot in the 60 Meter Dash in a time of 7.02. With this result, he stands at 28th nationally, and third in DIII New England and qualified for both DIII New England and All New England in the event. Johnson was the other Lancer to place in the running events, as he came in 3rd in the 600 Meter Run in a personal record time of 1:24.29. Johnson currently sits at 12th in all of Division III New England and has qualified for DIII New England's.
Worcester State's jumper Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.) came close to his personal record of 2.16m/7-01.00 as he earned an indoor personal record height of 2.14m/7-00.25 for first place in today's meet. With this outstanding mark, he currently stands at 1st place nationally in the event. He also came in 7th today in the triple jump at 12.27m/40-03.25.
The Lancers also saw great performances from Ryan Connolly (Braintree, Mass.) and Markiesh Harmon (Leominster, Mass.) in the jumps. Connolly earned a 5th place finish in the long jump for a personal record of 6.08m/19-11.50, while Harmon came in 8th and 9th in the high and triple jumps, respectively.
Worcester State's throwers Marcus Vieira (Peabody, Mass.), Eddy Acuna (Newton, Mass.), Anthony Christo (Peabody, Mass.), and Jacob Roumanos (Whitman, Mass.) performed well today. Vieira earned the top spot in the weight throw (18.20m/59-08.50) and came in 7th in the shot put (13.71m/44-11.75). Acuna and Christo each earned 4th place in the shot put and weight throw, respectively, while Roumanos place 8th in the weight throw at 14.11m/46-03.50. Christo qualified for DIII New England's in the weight throw.
Next week , those who qualified, will take part in the All New England Championships. Others will be competing at the Wesleyan Invitational on Saturday, Feb. 3.