Women's Soccer Drops Heartbreaker in Overtime

Women's Soccer Drops Heartbreaker in Overtime

WORCESTER, Mass. - The Worcester State University women's soccer team suffered a heartbreaking 2-1 overtime loss to Westfield State University Saturday afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference action at Coughlin Field.

With the loss, Worcester State falls to 6-7-2 overall on the season and 4-1-1 in the MASCAC. Westfield jumps to 10-5-1 and 5-1-0 in league play.

Senior Tsara LeBlanc (Gardner, Mass.) opened the scoring for Worcester State in the 15th minute, scoring her third goal of the season. LeBlanc took a feed from freshman Haley Mignon (Tewksbury, Mass.) and ripped a shot past the diving Owl keeper and into the bottom left corner of the net to put the Lancers on top 1-0.

Shots were even at 7-7 in the opening half, but LeBlanc's tally was the only one to find the back of the net, and the teams went to the break with Worcester State ahead 1-0.

Just over 14 minutes into the second half, Westfield State scored the equalizer as junior Lydia Kinsman (Granville, Mass.) recorded her 10th goal of the season.

Westfield was dominant in the second half, but only potted the one goal, and the game went into overtime. The Owls outshot the Lancers 9-2 in the second 45 minutes.

Westfield State had just one shot in the overtime period, but made the most of it to secure the win. Off a free kick from the right wing, the ball pinballed around in the box until senior Marissa McGue (Quincy, Mass.) found the foot of Kinsman, who knocked in her second goal of the game.

Junior Ashley Spellman (Lancaster, Mass.) looked sharp in net for Worcester State despite the loss, turning away eight shots. Freshman Lauryn Davis (Templeton, Mass.) got the win for the Owls with four stops.

Next up for the Lancers, they will return to action for a Wednesday evening contest at home against UMass Dartmouth. Westfield State plays next in its regular season finale next Saturday against Mass. Maritime.