ENGLEWOOD, Fla. – The Worcester State University women's lacrosse team wrapped up Florida play on Wednesday as the Lancers came back from a 3-point deficit late in the game and rallied past the Calvin Knights with a 7-1 run in the final 10 minutes of play for the 13-10 win.
March 20, 2018
Ann Dever Park
Score: Worcester State 13, Calvin 10
Records: Worcester State (3-2) | Calvin (1-4)
Worcester State scored three back-to-back goals to start the first half as Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) scored one on a free position shot and assisted the other two that were made by Coley Hayes (Norwood, Mass.) and Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.). Calvin battled back in the final 15 minutes of the half with three goals of their own from Emma Hall (Harare, Zimbabwe), Kelly Pepper (Wyckoff, N.J.) and Amanda Davio (Okemos, Mich.) for a 3-3 score at the break.
Calvin took their first lead of the game three minutes into the second half on a free position goal from Emma Tilma (Grand Rapids, Mich.) and then added two more for a 6-3 advantage. Worcester State's Mackenzie Little (Marlboro, Mass.) answered with two goals of her own until Calvin struck back with a 3-0 run for a 9-6 advantage. With 11 minutes on the clock, Worcester State rallied back to take the lead and hold onto it for the remainder of the game as they went on a 7-1 highlighted led by Austin who scored three of the seven final goals to preserve the 13-10 win.
BY THE BOOK
- Worcester State's Austin and Calvin's Pepper led with a game-high four goals each.
- The Lancers' Little tallied three goals and earned a game-high six draws to total her 100th career goal.
- Vecchiarelli completed the game with four points as she logged two goals and a team-high two assists.
- Ashley Perugini (Watertown, Conn.) scored her first two collegiate goals in the win.
- Isabel Baldrate (Plymouth, Mass.) led the Lancers in the ground ball category with four.
- The Knights' Davio and Hall each recorded two goals, while Emma Verrett (Beaver, Pa.) collected a game-high six draws.
- Worcester State held the advantage in shots (24-22) and ground balls (18-16).
- Calvin bested Worcester State in draws, 15-10.
- Worcester State converted 6-of-10 (66%) free position shots, while Calvin went 5-for-9 (55.6%).
- Sturbridge, Mass. native Chloe O'Brien stopped 11-of-21 shots on net for the win, while Calvin's starting goalie Ellis Chalfant (St. Louis, Mo.) took the loss in a 7-save performance.
The women's lacrosse team heads back to New England and will travel to Western Connecticut State University on Saturday (Mar. 24) for a 1 p.m. contest.