SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Six Lancers earned top honors to help the Lancers to a third place team finish on Saturday at the Springfield College Classic.
April 21, 2018
Springfield College Classic
1st Place: Springfield (192.75)
2nd Place: Westfield State (155)
3rd Place: Worcester State (121)
4th Place: Coast Guard (105.50)
5th Place: American International (52.75)
6th Place: Keene State (52)
7th Place: Elms (23)
8th Place: Holyoke CC (18)
9th Place: Springfield Tech CC (6)
WORCESTER STATE TOP PERFORMERS
- Elmer Acuna: 1st Place in Shot Put (14.94m/49-00.25), 2nd Place in Discus Throw (42.18m/138-05)
- Anthony Christo: 1st Place in Hammer Throw (48.34m/155-4), 2nd Place in Shot Put (13.25m/43-05.75), 8th Place in Discus Throw (34.75m/114-00)
- Jacob Roumanos: 1st Place in Discus Throw (42.38m/139-00), 3rd Place in Shot Put (13.01m/42-08.25)
- Edward Boamah: 1st Place in 400 Meter Hurdles (56.34), 3rd Place in 100 Meter Dash (11.03)
- John Ojukwu: 1st Place in 100 Meter Dash (10.90)
- Justin Lewis: 1st Place in High Jump (1.98m/6-6.00)
- Markiesh Harmon: 2nd Place in Long Jump (6.59m/21-7.50), 3rd Place in Triple Jump (13.12m/43-00.50)
- 4x100 Meter Relay: 3rd Place (44.35): Zachary Poitras, Edward Boamah, Michael Butten, John Ojukwu
- Ryan Connolly: 4th Place in Triple Jump (12.77m/41-10.75)
- Omar Cordova: 5th Place in 400 Meter Hurdles (1:02.62)
- Dariel Carrasco: 6th Place in 110 Meter Hurdles (18.44)
- Zachary Poitras: 8th Place in 200 Meter Dash (23.66)
Three of six Worcester State University top finishers were throwers Elmer Acuna (Newton, Mass.), Anthony Christo (Peabody, Mass.) and Jacob Roumanos (Whitman, Mass.). Acuna won the shot put competition with a top throw of 14.94m (49' 0.25") and came in second in the discus throw. Christo marked a first place finish in the hammer throw with a personal best of 48.34m (155' 4") while Roumanos claimed first in the discus, also with a personal record of42.38m (139').
Also earning first place finishes today were Edward Boamah (Worcester, Mass.), John Ojukwu (Stow, Mass.) and Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.) in the 400 meter hurdles, 100 meter dash, and high jump events, respectively. This was Boamah's first appearance in the 400 meter hurdles. Ojukwi logged a personal best time of 10.90 in the 100 meter.
Worcester State's Markiesh Harmon (Leominster, Mass.) logged second place in the long jump and third in the triple jump with a personal record of 13.12m (43' 0.5"). Ryan Connolly (Braintree, Mass.) also scored in the jumps as he marked fourth place in the triple jump, also with a PR, of 12.77m (41' 10.75").
Omar Cordova (Worcester, Mass.), Dariel Carrasco (Westford, Mass.) and Zachary Poitras (Webster, Mass.) came in fifth-sixth-eighth places, respectively, in their events. Carrasco marked a personal best in the 110 meter hurdles (18.44) and Poitras marked a personal record in the 200 meter dash (23.66)
This upcoming week, the Lancers will travel across-town to Holy Cross to matchup against competition from Holy Cross, University of Rhode Island, and University of New Hampshire on Tuesday (Apr. 24) before heading to the MASCAC/Alliance Championships on Saturday (Apr. 28).