MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The Worcester State University men's track & field team opened the outdoor season this weekend at the Mount Olive Trojan Invitational, as the Lancers saw three first place finishes and five personal records during the trip.
March 24, 2018
Mount Olive University
- Mount Olive (250)
- UNC Pembroke (115)
- Mary Washington (97)
- Worcester State (62)
- Barton (52.5)
- Sandhills CC (33.5)
- Methodist (32)
Bowie State (32)
9. Livingstone (25)
10. Campbell (19.5)
11. Louisburg College (17.5)
12. St. Andrews (2)
WORCESTER STATE PERFORMERS
- 1st Place in 4x400 Meter Relay: Marques Johnson, Jeff Davis, Patrick Scheeler, Edward Boamah (3:37.65)
- Justin Lewis – 1st Place in High Jump (2.08m/6' 9.75")
- Marcus Vieira – 1st Place in Discus (46.49m/ 152' 6.5"), 2nd Place in Hammer (55.73m/182' 10.25"), 6th Place in Shot Put (13.63m/44' 8.75")
- Anthony Christo – 4th Place in Hammer (46.15m/151' 5.25")
- Eddy Acuna – 4th Place in Shot Put (14.46m/47' 5.25"), 11th Place in Discus (39.04m/128' 1.25")
- Omar Cordova – 7th Place in 400 Meter Hurdles (1:03.25)
- Edward Boamah – 7th Place in 200 Meters (22.70), 8th Place in Triple Jump (12.96m/42' 6.25")
- Marques Johnson – 8th Place in 800 Meters (2:00.77)
- Christian Vera – 8th Place in 5000 Meters (17:03.58)
- Jacob Roumanos – 10th Place in Shot Put (12.56m/41' 2.5"), 10th Place in Discus (39.20m/128' 7.5")
- Markiesh Harmon – 10th Place in Long Jump (6.06m/19' 10.75"), 11th Place in Triple Jump (12.12m/39' 9.25"), 24th Place in 200 Meters (24.48)
- Hoang Vo – 10th Place in 400 Meter Hurdles (1:09.19)
- Patrick Donahue – 10th Place in 5000 Meters (17:41.83)
- Dariel Carrasco – 10th Place in 110 Meter Hurdles (19.74), 18th Place in Long Jump (4.89m/16' 0.5"), 30th Place in 100 Meters (13.37)
- John Newcomb – 12th Place in 5000 Meters (18:41.47)
- Patrick Scheeler – 12th Place in 800 Meters (2:02.44)
- Ryan Connolly – 12th Place in Long Jump (5.85m/19' 2.5")
- Jeff Davis – 13th Place in 400 Meters (52.73)
- Zachary Poitras – 22nd Place in 100 Meters (12.01), 22nd Place in 200 Meters (24.12)
- John Ojukwu – 28th Place in 100 Meters (12.53)
- Sorser Cote – 29th Place in 100 Meters (12.84), 33rd Place in 200 Meters (26.66)
The Lancers of Worcester State saw first place finishes from a 4x400 meter relay team (Johnson, Davis, Scheeler, Boamah), Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.), and Marcus Vieira (Peabody, Mass.) in the high jump and discus, respectively.
Worcester State's 4x400 Meter Relay team of Marques Johnson (West Hartford, Conn.), Jeff Davis (Old Lyme, Conn.), Patrick Scheeler (Wakefield, Mass.), and Edward Boamah (Worcester, Mass.) completed the relay in a time of 3:37.65 to score 10 points toward the Lancers' total of 62 for a fourth place finish overall at the meet.
Indoor track & field All-Americans, Lewis and Vieira, earned the top spot in their events. Lewis marked a height of 2.08m (6' 9.75") in the high jump, and currently stands at 2nd on the national list. Vieira impressed in not just the discus in which he won with a personal record 46.49m (152' 6.5") throw, but also competed well in the hammer and shot put. He also posted a personal best in the hammer throw at 55.73m (182' 10.25"). Vieira currently sits at 4th nationally in the hammer throw, and 9th nationally in the discus.
Also placing in the top-7 of their events were throwers, Anthony Christo (Peabody, Mass.) and Eddy Acuna (Newton, Mass.). Omar Cordova (Worcester, Mass.) and Boamah both logged seventh place in the 400 meter hurdles and 200 meters, respectively.
Jacob Roumanos (Whitman, Mass.) logged a personal record in the hammer (39.20m/128' 7.25"), Patrick Donahue (Raynham, Mass.) recorded his best time of 17:41.83 in the 5000 Meter, while Davis marked a personal record of 52.73 in the 400 meters.
Next weekend, the team will travel to Tufts for the Snowflake Classic.