Ice Hockey Nabs OT Win over Framingham State

Ice Hockey Nabs OT Win over Framingham State

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. - Senior Mike Moran (Milford, Mass.) scored with 39.6 seconds left in the overtime period as the Worcester State University ice hockey team claimed a 3-2 overtime win over Framingham State Thursday evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference action at Loring Arena.

With the win, the Lancers improve to 2-2-0 overall on the season, and 1-1-0 in MASCAC play. Framingham State moves to 1-2-0 overall and 0-1-0 in the conference.

The Rams grabbed a 1-0 lead after tallying a power play goal just over four minutes into the first period. Sophomore Soren Colstrup (Owatonna, Minn.) took a pass from freshman Brian Kozek (Chicago, Ill.) in front of the net and deposited a shot in the back of the net.

Worcester State tied the game a 1-1 with just over nine minutes remaining in the first period. Sophomore Kyle Hayter (Helena, Mont.) fired a shot on net that was saved by the Rams goaltender Greg Harney (East Haven, Conn.), but sophomore Ryan James (Katy, Texas) was there to collect the rebound and find the back of the net.

The game remained tied until the closing minutes of the second period when the Rams retook the lead 2-1. Freshman Trevor Lewandoski (Newbury, Ohio) fired a shot from the right wing that sophomore Brandon Hamner (Waltham, Mass.) redirected in front of the net for his second goal of the season.

The Lancers tied the game halfway thru the third on a power play goal from sophomore Matthew Manning (Novi, Mich.). Moran sent a pass across to the ice to senior Mitch Purdie (Peterborough, Ont.) on the left side and Purdie slipped a pass in front to Manning, who connected on his third marker of the season.

The Rams had a chance at the five minute mark of the third to break the deadlock, but Kozek's shot was stopped by a great save by the Lancers net minder Aaron Callan (South Lyon, Mich.).

In the overtime session, Colstup had a chance for the Rams just over a minute in, but Callan came up with the save. The Lancers had a chance with three minutes to go on a shot from the point by Henry Bruckner (Franklin, Mass.), but Harney came up with the save, before Moran connected on an unassisted game-winner with under a minute to go. It is the second time already this season that Moran has tallied the overtime winner for the Lancers.

The Lancers outshot the Rams 45-37 in the game. Harney finished the game with 42 saves for the Rams going the distance in net, while Callan came on in relief in the 14th minute and allowed one goal while making 29 stops.

The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Westfield State for a MASCAC contest slated to begin at 5:35 p.m., while the Lacers host Salem State on Saturday at 3:50 p.m.


Release courtesy of Framingham State Sports Information.