NEWPORT, R.I. – After leading by seven at the half, the Worcester State University men's basketball team dropped a 79-73 decision to Salve Regina, as the Seahawks earned a come-from-behind win Saturday afternoon.
December 9, 2017
Rodgers Recreation Center
Score: Salve Regina 79, Worcester State 73
Records: Salve Regina (5-3) | Worcester State (1-10)
Worcester State's Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.) set the pace in the first half as just six second in as he nailed a triple for the lead. Salve Regina's Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) answered with a jumper, but Worcester State extended its lead to four just seconds later when Will Watkins Jr. (Southbridge, Mass.) connected on a three. Salve Regina then went on a 9-0 run, started by Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.) with a triple to make it a 5-point game. The Lancers' Bryson Gulley (Mattapan, Mass.) made two consecutive 3-pointers to give the Lancers a 12-11 edge with 14:21 remaining in the stanza. The game was tied at 12-12 succeeding a free throw from Salve Regina's Gabe Granberry (Dorchester, Mass.), though Gulley put the Lancers back on top with his third triple of the game. Worcester State extended its lead to 12 with a 9-0 run to put the score at 26-14, forcing a Salve Regina timeout. The Seahawks snipped away the Blue and Gold's lead as Kelly and Tyler Benjamin (Fitchburg, Mass.) made triples with six minutes on the clock to get within six. After back-and-forth play, the Lancers went into the locker room ahead 42-35 at the half.
Salve Regina broke out to a 10-0 run to take a 45-42 lead just two minutes into the frame. The Lancers got within one twice, until Worcester State took the lead again with 15:55 on the clock following an Amani Chambe (Providence, R.I.) three. After seven lead changes and two ties in the second half, Salve Regina took the last lead of the game with 4:16 on the clock succeeding a Kelly layup. Salve Regina held the slim lead, and held off Worcester State despite back-to-back buckets from Gulley in the last two minutes of play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Morton led the Seahawks with 25 points and Kelly posted a double-double of 17 points and 11 rebounds for the win.
- Kelly and Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.) each recorded four steals for the Seahawks.
- Gulley posted a career-high 18 points in the setback as he went 7-for-13 from the field and 4-for-8 from 3-point range.
- Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.) put up 13 points while Watkins and Chris Cardoso (Jamaica Plains, Mass.) collected 12 and 11 points, respectively.
- Watkins led the boards with six for Worcester State.
- Despite the loss, the Lancers posted greater shooting percentages than Salve Regina.
- Worcester State went 26-for-60 (43.3%) from the field, 41.4% (12-29) from 3-point range, and 81.8% (9-11) from the charity stripe.
- Salve Regina outrebounded Worcester State, 43-34.
- The Seahawks forced 17 Worcester State turnovers, which turned into 17 points for Salve Regina.
- 46.6% (34-of 73) of Worcester State points came from the bench.
Worcester State will take a 3-week break and resume play on Saturday, December 30 as they host Roger Williams in a 12-noon game.