WORCESTER, Mass. – The Worcester State University baseball team scored 13 runs on 19 hits and three Becker errors to defeat the Hawks by a score of 13-8 in the Monday afternoon affair.
April 23, 2018
Kevin D. Lyons Diamond
Score: Worcester State 13, Becker 8
Records: Worcester State (11-21) | Becker (9-22)
After a scoreless first inning, Becker put up two runs on no hits in the second inning for the 2-0 lead. Back-to-back walks for Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) and Cameron Plank (Marlborough, Mass.) put runners at first and second. The duo completed a double steal and advanced to second and third, and in turn, scored on RBI groundouts from the next two batters.
Becker scored two unearned runs on two hits and three Lancer errors in the top of the third inning, but Worcester State knotted the score at 4-4 in the reverse side of the inning on an RBI walk from Patrick Grow (Worcester, Mass.) and a two-RBI single from pinch hitter Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.).
The Lancers hammered in six runs on five hits and one Becker error in the bottom of the fifth inning. Colin Medeiros (Fall River, Mass.) hit home Larkin who reached on a double. Sam Allen (Springfield, Mass.), Keith Dombroski (Sutton, Mass.), William Roberge (Warwick, R.I.) each hit one run in and rookie Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.) capped off the inning with a two-run shot over the left field fence to advance the score to 10-4, Worcester State ahead.
Becker tacked on one run each in the sixth and seventh innings an RBI form Chris Testa (Providence, R.I.) and a wild pitch, while Worcester added in three more runs on six hits in the bottom of the sixth to change the score to 13-6.
Becker had bases loaded twice in the bottom of the eighth inning, but were only able to score two runs on a single from Kevin Perez (Jersey City, N.J.). Worcester State's closer, PJ Walsh (Bridgewater, Mass.) shutout the visitors in the ninth inning to seal the win.
- Worcester State's Roberge, Richardson, and Medeiros combined for nine of the 19 hits in the win.
- Richardson reached base four times as he went 3-for-4 with a walk.
- Five Lancers registered two RBI apiece (Breton, Palatino, Medeiros, Allen, and Dombroski).
- Worcester State's Grow and Becker's Testa each stole two bases on the occasion.
- Becker's Perez and Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) each recorded two hits, while Perez and Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) led the team with two RBI apiece.
- Testa reached base three times on a double and two walks.
- Worcester State's Owen Gibbons (Sterling, Mass.) earned the win on the mound as he pitched seven innings. He allowed six runs (three unearned) on seven hits. He walked four and struck out four batted. The Lancers saw one inning of relief from Brian Twomey (Hudson, Mass.) and Walsh.
- Becker's Michael Martinez (Raleigh, N.C.) was tabbed with the loss as he pitched five innings and allowed five earned runs (10 total). He struck out six Lancer batters at the plate.
- Worcester State committed five errors in the win.
The Lancers return to the Kevin D. Lyons Diamond tomorrow (Apr. 24) to host Fitchburg State in a conference doubleheader, starting at 2 p.m. Becker will rest tomorrow and host Mitchell in a 4 p.m. league game on Wednesday (Apr. 25).