NEWPORT, R.I. – Salve Regina's pitching staff held the Lancers to just three hits – all three from junior Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.) - as the Seahawks defeated Worcester State by a score of 9-2 in non-conference action Wednesday afternoon.
April 18, 2018
Score: Salve Regina 9, Worcester State 2
Records: Salve Regina (14-10) | Worcester State (10-17)
After the Lancers put one run on the board in the first, Salve Regina took the lead in the bottom half as they score five runs a two-RBI single from Dylan Ketch (Clinton, Conn.), a walk, and wild pitches. The Seahawks added another run in the second on a sacrifice fly from Alex Perry (North Attleboro, Mass.) to advance the score to 6-1.
Salve Regina's pitching held the Lancers to no hits from the second until the sixth inning when Ferrara broke the streak with a single to right center. Though, the Seahawk pitching staff retired the side with a groundout to first base.
The Seahawks extended their lead to eight (9-1) in the bottom of the seventh inning on RBI from Colton Eremian (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Christian Vargas (Melbourne, Fla.).
Worcester State scored one more run in the top of the eighth inning on an RBI single from Ferrara for the 9-2 final score.
- Salve Regina's pitching staff held the Lancers to just three hits and pitched six hitless innings. Michael Mathews (West Hartford, Conn.) started, but relief pitcher Tom Beliveau (West Newbury, Mass.) earned the win in two innings pitched. He struck out three batters at the plate. In addition to Mathews and Beliveau, the Seahawks used four other pitchers on the occasion.
- The Lancers also used a total of six pitchers in the nine-inning game. Starting pitcher, Luke Brennan (Worcester, Mass.) took the loss in 1/3 innings pitched.
- Salve Regina's Ketch and Vargas each recorded two hits and two RBI in the win.
- Worcester State's Ferrara was the lone Lancer to hit off Salve's pitching as he went 3-for-4 with an RBI.
- Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.) and Sam Allen (Springfield, Mass.) scored Worcester State's two runs.
- Salve Regina holds a 10-8 edge over Worcester State in the all-time series after winning last two in a row. The teams split last year's home and away series with each winning 7-6 on the other's field.
The Lancers host Fisher in a 3:30 p.m. game at the Kevin D. Lyons Diamond tomorrow.