NORTHBORO, Mass. – UMass Dartmouth's pitching staff only allowed Worcester State two runs on four hits in the Corsairs' 10-2 non-conference win Tuesday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex (NEBC).
March 6, 2018
New England Baseball Complex
Score: UMass Dartmouth 10, Worcester State 2
Records: UMass Dartmouth (1-0) | Worcester State (0-3)
Each team scored one run in the first inning. UMass Dartmouth scored on a sacrifice fly from Erick Ramirez (Boston, Mass.), plating Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) who had reached base on balls. Worcester State matched the one run in the bottom half of the inning when Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.) hit an RBI double to right center, scoring Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.).
UMass Dartmouth added six runs to the board between the fourth and sixth innings. The Corsairs started in the top of the fourth inning when they totaled three runs on three hits and one Lancer error. Mitch Baker (Braintree, Mass.) and Tellier each logged RBI doubles, while Josh O'Neill (Halifax, Mass.) sent the other run home in the fourth. Two Corsair runs came in in the top of the fifth on an RBI double from Kenny Michael (Norwood, Mass.) and a sacrifice fly from Jose Vasquez (Roxbury, Mass.). The Corsairs made the score 7-1 in the sixth on a ground-out RBI.
UMass Dartmouth's relief pitchers, Matt Cronin (Framingham, Mass.) and Ryan Bruning (Centerville, Mass.) held off the Lancers as the Blue and Gold's next hit didn't occur until the bottom of the seventh inning. Cooper Bigelow (Leominster, Mass.) broke the 6-inning no-hitting streak for the Lancers as he singled to right center to load the bases in the seventh. Sam Allen (Springfield, Mass.) walked on the next at-bat to put the score at 7-2. Though, the Lancers left three stranded on base in that inning.
The Corsairs packed on three more runs between the eighth and ninth innings, including a 2-run home run from Mac Curran (Lakeville, Mass.) in the top of the ninth. Worcester State was held to just one hit in the remaining two innings, as the game concluded with a final score of 10-2.
BY THE BOOK
- UMass Dartmouth's pitching staff only allowed four total hits and two earned runs to settle at the 10-2 win. Cronin earned the win in a 3-inning performance, allowing no hits and striking out three. Logan Maitland (Tiverton, R.I.) pitched one inning and struck out all three Worcester State batters.
- Worcester State's Issiac Christiansen (Franklin, Maine) suffered the loss on the mound in a 2-inning performance.
- The Corsairs' Tellier batted .600 (3-5) with one run, an RBI, and a walk.
- Ramirez, Michael, and Baker each had two hits, while Ramirez and Curran logged a game-best two RBI, apiece.
- Tellier Zach Courier (Mansfield, Mass.) and Ramirez each stole a base in the win.
- Ferrara recorded a team-best two hits with an RBI in the setback. Palatino and Bigelow accounted for the other two hits, while they each recorded the team's runs.
The Worcester State baseball team returns to the NEBC on Saturday (Mar. 10) to host Bates in a doubleheader, starting at 11 a.m. UMass Dartmouth heads to Auburndale, Fla. later this week and will matchup against Nichols on Friday (Mar. 9) at 5:15 p.m. at Lake Myrtle Park, field #6.