NEWTON, Mass. – The Worcester State University women's volleyball team defeated the Lasers of Lasell College by set scores of 25-14, 25-18, 18-25, 23-25, and 21-19 in a five-set thriller Thursday evening.
September 21, 2017
Score: Worcester State 3, Lasell 2
Records: Worcester State (6-6) | Lasell (3-9)
Worcester State showed strength in the first set as they registered a .206 attack percentage and held the Lasers to a nil attack. Both teams battled back-and-forth, however Worcester ended the set with an 8-0 run, including two service aces from Katrina Kangwijaya (Dunstable, Mass.) to earn the 25-14 score.
Carens gave the Lancers two points right off the bat, however, the Lasers bounded back on top and held the lead until Worcester State's Murphy knotted the score at 13-13 on a kill. Following one more tie score, Worcester State took advantage of Lasell attack errors and gradually extended their lead, earning the 25-18 set victory.
In the third set, the Lancers built a valiant comeback, as Lasell held match point at 24-12. The Lancers rattled off five straight points with Kangwijaya on the service, before a final service error sent both teams in the fourth.
Both teams traded point for point in the fourth, as Taylor Tiezzi (Meriden, Conn.) put Lasell in its final match point position with a service ace. Olivia Addington (Orange, Calif.) forced set five on a blast from Meghan Carroll (Douglas, Mass.), and the 25-23 result.
As in the fourth, neither team gained more than a two-point advantage as the fifth set extended six points past regulation. Two concluding attack errors from Lasell sent the Lancers back to Worcester with the 21-19 set win, and the 3-2 final.
DIG THE DIGITS
- Addington led all players in the non-conference match with 21 kills and four block assists for 23 points.
- Addington's point total surpassed her teammates by at least 14 points, as Mickayla Shelburn (Waterford, Conn.) and Meredith Eagan (North Andover, Mass.) added nine points each in the effort.
- Caitlyn Garcia (Moreno Valley, Calf.) had a strong showing at libero for Lasell with 34 digs, six away from her season high. Classmate Tiezzi dished out 40 assists with a pair of service aces.
- Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) paced the visitors with 14 kills and a .208 hitting percentage, contributing 17 points with an additional pair of aces.
- Carens followed with nine kills and three block assists for 10.5 points. Chapin picked up eight points on five kills and four block assists.
- Defensively, Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) hit the floor for 36 digs, a season-best for the junior libero.
- As a team, the Lancers held a .071 attack percentage, while the Lasers just outdid them with eight percent.
- Worcester State held a 17-10 edge in service aces.
This Saturday (Sep. 23) the Lancers travel to Buzzards Bay, Mass. to take on Mass. Maritime and Pine Manor in a tri-match with game times of 1/3 p.m.
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Lasell Sports Information