KEENE, N.H. – The undefeated Keene State women's volleyball team blanked Worcester State by set scores of 25-17, 25-21, and 25-13 to take the 3-0 win over the Lancers Tuesday evening.
September 19, 2017
Score: Keene State 3, Worcester State 0
Records: Keene State (12-0) | Worcester State (5-6)
Keene State came out strong with a 4-1 run to begin the first set. However, Worcester State pushed back and tied the score at 4-4 on a Katrina Kangwijaya (Dustable, Mass.) service ace. The Lancers kept the score even with the Owls as the set saw 10 additional ties. The last tie was at 15-15 when Keene State committed a service error. From there, Keene State went on a 5-0 run on service aces from Cyndee Morgan (Boulder, Colo.) and a kill from Olivia Mathieu (Derry, N.H.). Worcester State got within four, but Keene State jumped away on a 5-1 run to seal the 25-17 set win.
The two teams battled it out in the second set as there were multiple ties once again, and neither team got a lead greater than two until the final few points. Following a 16-all score, Keene State gained a two-point advantage on a Worcester attack error and a kill from Niamh Dodd (Mahopac, N.Y.). Worcester kept within two, until back-to-back kills from Rachel Lamica (Malone, N.Y.) and a Lancer attack error gave the hosts a 3-point lead. The kept the gap following a Worcester timeout, and earned their second set win by a score of 25-21.
Keene's best set of the night was the final, as they accumulated a .344 team attack percentage and outnumbered the Lancers in kills 15-6. The Owls began the set with an 8-2 run on kills from Megan Palmer (East Islip, N.Y.) and Lamica. Following a timeout called by Worcester State, the Lancers rallied back to a two-point deficit, putting the score at 9-7. However, that didn't last long as the Owls went on a 15-2 run and gave the Lancers no chance of a comeback, sealing the victory.
DIG THE DIGITS
- Throughout the match, Keene State held a 44-22 kill advantage, and also registered seven service aces in comparison to Worcester's two.
- The hosts held the visitors to a .017 game kill percentage, while the Owls stood at .187.
- The Owls' attack was led by Lamica who registered a double-double of a game-high 16 kills and 10 digs.
- Palmer collected nine kills with a game-high attack percentage of .727.
- Keene State's Bailey Wilson (Moorpark, Calif.) earned game-high honors in assists with 37.
- Riley Bunker (Simi Valley, Calif.) and Mathieu dug up 20 and 19 balls, respectively.
- Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) and Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass) guided the Lancers' offense with seven kills apiece.
- Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.) led the Blue and Gold in assists (18), while Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) grabbed a team-high 15 digs.
The women's volleyball team is back in action on Thursday (Sep. 21) when they travel to Lasell for a 7 p.m. game.