NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Worcester State University women's volleyball team dropped a pair of matches to Western Connecticut State University and Coast Guard as they wrapped up play at the Connecticut College/Coast Guard Tournament on Saturday.
September 9, 2017
Worcester State (3-4)
WESTERN CONNECTICUT 3, WORCESTER STATE 1
Western Connecticut State University defeated Worcester State by set scores of 12-25, 25-20, 25-19, and 26-24 in the first match of the day.
Worcester State came out strong in the first set, as they marked a set attack percentage of .321 and held Western Connecticut to a nil attack percentage. However, Western Connecticut came back in the second through fourth sets with solid attacks to notch the 3-1 victory.
- Western Connecticut's Kamari King (E. Hartford, Conn.) led the attack with 15 kills, while Mikayla Aubry (Fresno, Calif.) completed recorded 10 with a team-high .389 attack percentage.
- The Colonials' Jenna Skerritt (Wolcott, Conn.) tallied 33 helpers in the win, while Bailey Wyrebeck (Bristol, Conn.) led the defense with nine digs.
- Western Connecticut held a 48-36 margin in kills, and a 12-9 edge in service aces.
- For the Blue and Gold, Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) and Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.) each collected 11 kills apiece.
- Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.) picked up 28 assists, while Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) led the defense with 14 digs. A. King also picked up 11 dig on the defensive end.
COAST GUARD 3, WORCESTER STATE 0
Coast Guard powered through the 3-0 win over Worcester State with set scores of 25-15, 25-10, 25-15 and a .385 team attack percentage. The hosts marked a 48-21 edge in kills over the Lancers to assist in the victory.
- Coast Guard's Angelou Dunton (Seattle, Wash.) chalked up a game-high 13 kills and five service aces to tally 18 points for the Bears
- Makenna Martin (Granbury, Texas) and Veronica Hine (Virginia Beach, Va.) combined for a total of 42 helpers for Coast Guard.
- Defensively for the Bears Bridget Boyle (Dunwoody, Ga.), Dunton, and Michelle McGuill (Atlantic Beach, Fla.) charted 15-12-11 digs, respectively.
- For Worcester State, A. King grabbed a team-high nine kills with a .304 attack percentage and a team-high seven digs. Nolan, once again, led in assists (15).
- Coast Guard held a 48-21 advantage in kills and led by a 44-18 margin in assists.
The Volleyball team returns to Lancer Gymnasium on Tuesday, September 12 at 7 p.m. when they host Westfield State in their first Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) game of the year.