NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Worcester State University women's volleyball team split on day one of the Connecticut College/Coast Guard tournament, as Connecticut College downed them 3-0 (27-25, 25-13, 25-14), and then the Lancers defeated Regis by a score of 3-0 (25-20, 25-10, 25-19) in the final game of the evening.
September 8, 2017
Worcester State (3-2)
CONNECTICUT COLLEGE 3, WORCESTER STATE 0
The first set was the closest of the three, as Worcester State gained an eight point lead on the Camels halfway through the set. However, Connecticut College finished strong and closed the gap on back-t-back points from Jenny Kellogg (Los Altos, Calif.) and Emma Hewlin (San Jose, Calif.) to knot the score at 24-24. Connecticut College would seal the deal on another attacks from Hewlin and Belinda Mullally (Garden Grove, Calif.) for the 27-25 score.
The Camels would go on and defeat the Lancers by scores of 25-13 and 25-14 to earn the 3-0 victory.
- Connecticut College's Sam Hunter (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) finished with game-high honors in kills with 12. Kellogg registered eight kills and a team-high five service aces. Katia Elisman (Lake Forest, Ill.) led in assists (27) and also recorded five service aces. Hunter and Caroline Brangigan (Pacific Palisades, Calif.) dug out 10 and 11 balls, respectively.
- Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) and Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.) logged six kills apiece in the loss. Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.) was tabbed with 15-of-17 assists and a team-high three service aces, while Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) led the Lancers in digs with 14.
- Connecticut College held Worcester State to a .069 attack percentage in the match, as the Camels marked a .221 team percentage and tallied 41 kills in comparison to Worcester's 18.
WORCESTER STATE 3, REGIS 0
Worcester State struck back in its second game of the evening and defeated Regis by set scores of 25-20, 25-10, and 25-19, while logging a .233 team attack percentage.
- Worcester State's King led all scoring with eight kills and three service aces in the win.
- Lauren Murphy (Taunton, Mass.) and Stephanie Chapin (Hampden, Mass.) collected eight points apiece as Murphy killed seven balls and notched a service ace, while Chapin earned five points on an attack, two on service aces, and one point on a solo block.
- Nolan earned game-high honors in assists with 26.
- Leavens dug out a team-high 16 balls on defense, while King and Carens each registered nine digs apiece.
- For Regis, Katryna Veasey (Quincy, Mass.) and Nicole Connolly (San Mateo, Calif.) controlled the scoring with seven kills apiece. Shay Faber (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) collected a team-high 14 assists, while Veasey chalked up 19 digs on the defensive end.
- Worcester State earned .357 and .474 attack percentages in the first two sets, respectively.
The volleyball team heads back to Connecticut tomorrow as they take on Western Connecticut State University and Coast Guard at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., respectively.