ROXBURY, Mass. – The Worcester State University women's track & field team opened up the 2017-18 indoor track & field season on Saturday (Dec. 2) at the UMass Boston Invitational. The Lancers' top performances came from Bernice Mensah (Worcester, Mass.) in the jumps, Abigail Danso (Worcester, Mass.) in the hurdles, and Courtney Guay (Londonderry, N.H.) in the mid-distance events.
December 2, 2017
UMass Boston Invitational
No Team Scoring
WORCESTER STATE TOP PERFORMERS
- Bernice Mensah – 3rd Place in Long Jump (5.13m/16-10), 4th Place in Triple Jump (10.47m/34-4.25), 13th Place in 60M (8.23), 15th Place in 200M (27.30)
- Abigail Danso – 4th Place in 60M Hurdles (9.59)
- Courtney Guay – 5th Place in 800M (2:34.89)
- Hannah LoChiatto – 6th Place in High Jump (1.55m/5-1)
- Asgerdur Jana Agustsdottir– 7th Place in Shot Put (11.24m/36-10.5), 8th Place in 60M Hurdles (9.84), 10th Place in Long Jump (4.65m/15-3.25)
- Justine Murdocca – 8th Place in 5000M (19:38.07)
- Brenda Thomas – 9th Place in 400M (1:04.25)
- Kayla Corcoran – 11th Place in 800M (2:38.07)
- Megan Rouillard – 11th Place in Weight Throw (12.74m/41-9.75)
- Abigail MacGregor – 15th Place in 200M (27.44)
Worcester State University's rookie, Mensah, led the Lancers in their opening meet on Saturday as she performed well in both the long jump and triple jump events. She came in 3rd in the long jump for a length of 5.13m and came in 4th in the triple jump with a distance of 10.47m. Mensah also competed in the 60 meter and 200 meter events. Hannah LoChiatto (Harvard, Mass.) placed 6th in the high jump (1.55m).
Danso, a veteran, placed 4th in the 60 meter hurdles in a time of 9.59. Also placing at the top in the 60 meter hurdles is newcomer Asgerdur Jana Agustsdottir (Akureyri, Iceland) who came in 8th in the hurdles (9.84). She also competed in the shot put, placing 7th with a distance of 11.24m, and competed in the long jump (4.65m).
Guay guided the Lancers in the mid-distance event as she came in 5th with a time of 2:34.89 in the 800 meter run. Justine Murdocca (Milford, Mass.) came in 8th in the 5000 meter run with a personal record of 19:38.07, while Brenda Thomas (Worcester, Mass.) came in 9th in the 400 meter. Thomas posted a personal record in the 200 meter (28.64).
The women's track & field team returns to the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center next Saturday (Dec. 9) for the Northeastern Invitational.