WORCESTER, Mass. – In the Worcester State University's 9-0 Little East Conference (LEC) sweep of Southern Maine Saturday afternoon, Lancers Rachel Green (Worcester, Mass.) and Alexis Silk (Greenfield, Mass.) earned their 25th win to join the Lancers' 25 point club.
"It was a great day for fun and competitive tennis," said head coach Courteney Blais. "Everyone brought their 'A' game today."
The Lancers began the afternoon with a doubles sweep as No. 2 and No. 3 doubles defeated their opponents, both by a score 8-2. This is where Green earned her 25th with as her and doubles partner, Isabel Badeau (Cumberland, R.I.) defeated Margaret Smith (Farmingdale, Maine) and Lynn Swanson (Bath, Maine).
The tightest doubles match was at No. 1 doubles when Worcester State's Shelby Jankins (W. Brookfield, Mass.) and Silk defeated Southern Maine's Mackenzie Colby (Southport, Maine) and Courtney Jordan (Portland, Maine) 8-5.
The Lancers continued the momentum into singles play, when they swept their opponents 6-0. Green and Nathalie Khafaga (Auburn, Mass.) shutout their opponents, Swanson and Smith, with set scores of 6-0, 6-0, respectively.
Jankins then followed with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Colby. At No. 3 doubles, Silk earned her 25th career point in a 6-1, 6-0 win over Jordan. Freshmen Lauren Taylor (Attleboro, Mass.) and Badau wrapped up the doubles play with scores of 6-2, 7-5 and 7-5, 7-6 (7-4), respectively.
"Our freshmen were tested today, and came out on top," commented Blias.
The Lancers (4-3, 2-1 LEC) return to play on Tuesday (Sep. 27) when they travel to Salem State for another conference match. The Huskies (1-6, -0-4 LEC) return to their home court on the same day for a LEC contest against UMass Boston.
- Shelby Jankins (WOR) def. Mackenzie Colby (SM) 6-1, 6-0
- Lauren Taylor (WOR) def. Liz Martin (SM) 6-2, 7-5
- Alexis Silk (WOR) de. Courtney Jordan (SM) 6-1, 6-0
- Nathalie Khafaga (WOR) def. Margaret Smith (SM) 6-0, 6-0
- Rachel Green (WOR) def. Lynn Swanson (SM) 6-0, 6-0
- Isabel Badeau (WOR) def. Joanna Scheidegger (SM) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
- Shelby Jankins/Alexis Silk (WOR) def. Mackenzie Colby/Courtney Jordan (SM) 8-5
- Lauren Taylor/Nathalie Khafaga (WOR) def. Liz Martin/Joanna Scheidegger (SM) 8-2
- Rachel Green/Isabel Badeau (WOR) def. Margaret Smith/Lynn Swanson (SM) 8-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4*,1,2,6)