WORCESTER, Mass. – The Worcester State Lancers were defeated by cross-town opponents, Clark University 7-2 in Thursday evening play. With the loss, the Lancers slide to 3-3 on the season.
Clark University came out with a 2-1 advantage over the Lancers following doubles play. For the Cougars, Isabelle Long (Bellevue, Wash.) and Anna Gates (N. Scituate, R.I.) defeated Shelby Jankins (W. Brookfield, Mass.) and Alexis Silk (Greenfield, Mass.) 8-4 at No. 1 doubles. Clarks' other victory came from Emily Shuman (Needham, Mass.) and Adrien Horwitz (Arvada, Colo.) who defeated their opponents, Lauren Taylor (Attleboro, Mass.) and Nathalie Khafaga (Auburn, Mass.), 8-2 at No. 2.
Worcester's sole doubles win came from Rachel Green (Worcester, Mass.) and Isabel Badeau (Cumberland, R.I.) at No. 3 doubles. The duo defeated Erica Issenberg (Arvada, Colo.) and Bichtroan Nguyen (Worcester, Mass.) 8-1.
Clark dominated in singles play, as they notched five out of the six points. Worcester's second and last point of the night came from Silk who defeated Horowitz 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3 singles.
Next up, the Lancers host Southern Maine on Saturday (Sep. 24) in a noontime match on the campus of Clark University.
- Isabelle Long (CLK) def. Shelby Jankins (WOR) 6-2, 6-2
- Emily Shuman (CLK) def. Lauren Taylor (WOR) 7-5, 6-1
- Alexis Silk (WOR) def. Adrien Horowitz (CLK) 6-2, 6-4
- Anna Gates (CLK) def. Nathalie Khafaga (WOR) 6-4, 6-0
- Misa Mai (CLK) def. Rachel Green (WOR) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Amy Fallon (CLK) def. Isabel Badeau (WOR) 6-1, 6-2