WORCESTER, Mass. – Bridgewater State's Courtney Pepin (Uxbridge, Mass.) scored two goals to help the visiting Bears remain undefeated in the league by defeating Worcester State 2-1 Saturday afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) matchup.
October 7, 2017
Score: Bridgewater State 2, Worcester State 1
Records: Bridgewater State (8-4, 4-0 MASCAC) | Worcester State (7-4-2, 3-1 MASCAC)
Bridgewater State came out strong and held a 10-1 margin in shots and attained four corner kicks within the first 23 minutes of play. Though, Worcester State battled back and scored the first tally of the game on a goal from junior forward, Tsara LeBlanc (Gardner, Mass.) in the 30th minute. It wasn't long after that Bridgewater put themselves up on the board when Pepin and Emma Sanders (Seekonk, Mass.) connected on a give-and-go for the tie. Worcester State put pressure on the Bears' defense for the remainder of the half, but Bridgewater's goaltender, Lauren DeSousa (Taunton, Mass.) was able to stop five shots on net in the last 10 minutes of the frame.
Despite Worcester State outshooting Bridgewater State in the second half (18-6), Pepin got a foot on the ball when there was a scrum in the goalie's box in the 69th minute, to notch the game-winner. The Lancers saw five corner kick opportunities in the remainder of the half, but were unable to score as DeSousa racked up four saves on the occurrences.
CRUNCH THE NUMBERS
- DeSousa had a phenomenal performance in goal as she logged a season-high 18 saves in the net.
- Pepin scored her 6th and 7th goals on the season and now is the team leader in goals (7) and points (15). Sanders registered her second assist of the season.
- Worcester State's attack was led by Kaitlin Beluzo (East Longmeadow, Mass.) who rattled off 10 shots (6 SOG) in the loss. LeBlanc was second on the team in shots and shots on goal with five each.
- The Lancers' Jill Zinkus (Grafton, Mass.) was tabbed the loss in 6-save performance.
- Worcester State held a 31-19 advantage in shots (19-8 SOG).
- The Bears held a 7-6 edge in corner kicks.
- Bridgewater State extends its winning streak to five, and remains undefeated in the conference.
The Lancers will take a week off and return to MASCAC action on Saturday (Oct. 14) when they travel to Salem State for a 3 p.m. tilt. Bridgewater State will resume play on the same date as they host Westfield State in a 12 noon conference game.