FITCHBURG, Mass. – Two second half goals by the Lancers of Worcester State propelled the women's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over host Fitchburg State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action on Saturday morning.
September 23, 2017
Score: Worcester State 2, Fitchburg State 0
Records: Worcester State (5-2-2, 2-0 MASCAC) | Fitchburg State University (2-5, 1-1 MASCAC) |
Worcester State fired off 12 shots (five on net) in the first half, while Fitchburg State saw three on goal, neither team saw a tally, resulting in a nil score at the half.
After battling to a scoreless first half, heavy pressure from the Lancers led to the stalemate-breaking first goal. Sophomore Kaitlin Beluzo (East Longmeadow, Mass.) found a streaking Nikki DiPilla (Sterling, Mass.) down the left wing for her first goal of the season, giving the Lancers the 1-0 advantage at the 58:23 mark. Worcester State doubled the lead ten minutes later. On a set corner play, freshman Maddie Fong (Norton, Mass.) laced the free hit to senior Justine Butler (Marlboro, Mass.) who headed it past Falcons goalie Sarah Hemmings (Eastham, Mass.).
BY THE NUMBERS
- Worcester held the advantage in shots (19-4) and corners (14-0).
- Lancer netminder Jill Zinkus (Grafton, Mass.) made four saves for the win.
- Hemmings posted 9 saves in the loss for the Falcons.
- Freshman McKenzie Tenney (Orange, Mass.) led the Green and Gold with two shots on net.
- Worcester State's attack was led by DiPilla who recorded three shots on net.
- This was the 27th meeting between two schools on the pitch with the Falcons 3-23-0 when taking on the Lancers.
- Worcester State has won the last ten meetings against the Falcons.
Falcons return to action on Tuesday evening when they host Dean College at 7:00pm, Worcester hosts Western Connecticut on Wednesday the 27th at 7:00pm.
Release Courtesy of Fitchburg State Sports Information