WENHAM, Mass. – Gordon College's Ashton Barkley (Parker, Colo.) scored the game-winning goal with six seconds remaining in the final overtime period to lift the Fighting Scots to a 1-0 victory over the visiting Worcester State Lancers in a Wednesday evening contest.
September 20, 2017
Brigham Athletic Complex
Score: Gordon 1, Worcester State 0
Records: Gordon (3-1-1) | Worcester State (4-2-2)
The hosts, Gordon, were only able to get four shots off in the first stanza, as only one was on goal and saved by Worcester State's rookie goaltender, Jill Zinkus (Grafton, Mass.). The Fighting Scots did not allow the Lancers one shot in the frame.
Gordon held a 7-5 shot advantage over Worcester State in the second half, however, neither team could put a digit on the scoreboard. Worcester State's Maddie Fong (Norton, Mass.) attempted a shot with 41 seconds remaining in the half that went high and send the game into overtime.
In the first overtime period, the Fighting Scots put two of their three shots on net but were not able to slip one past Zinkus. Gordon began the second overtime with another shot on net, but it once again was stopped. Worcester State received two corner kick opportunities in the 104th minute but were not able to find a scoring opportunity. The Lancers saw their first shot of both overtime periods with 1:22 left on the clock, though it was turned away by Gordon's keeper, Kali Denty (Marshfield, Mass.). It wasn't until there were six second left on the clock that Gordon took the win on a goal from Barkley, assisted by Devin Lacroix (Candia, N.H.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gordon's Denty earned the win in goal as she stopped four shots on goal and was tabbed with the complete-game shutout.
- Worcester State's Zinkus suffered the loss in a 110-minute performance.
- Worcester State's Rachel Dixson (Douglas, Mass.), Megan Gurlitz (Auburn, Mass.), Ashleigh Howland (Wilmington, Mass.), and Nikki DiPilla (Sterling, Mass.) accounted for the Lancers' four shots on net.
- Gordon's Barkely earned game-high honors with four shots.
- The Fighting Scots outshot the Lancers by a 16-6 margin.
- The Lancers held a slight 6-5 advantage in corner kicks.
The women's soccer team returns to action on Saturday (Sep. 23) when they travel to Fitchburg State for a 10 a.m. conference matchup.