WESTFIELD, Mass. – The No. 4 seeded Worcester State University women's lacrosse team's season came to an end Thursday evening as they were blanked by the top seeded Westfield State Owls in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) semifinal game, 16-0.
May 3, 2018
Score: Westfield State 16, Worcester State 0
Records: Westfield State (16-2) | Worcester State (11-8)
Westfield State poured in 13 first half goals led by Sydney Lambert (Hanover, Mass.) who had four. Marissa Nimeskern (Hanover, Mass.) started the scoring in the first minute on an unassisted tally. Lambert logged her first goal of the game just 17 seconds later. Alexa Tonelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.) scored one in the second minute on Stephanie Godek's (West Springfield, Mass.) second helper of the game. Lambert added in another a minute and a half later. The Owls kept scoring for a 13-0 halftime score.
The Owls scored three goals in the second half, and shutout the Lancers enroute to a 16-0 MASCAC semifinal win. Two goals came from Sam Donahoe (Pepperell, Mass.) and the other came from Elizabeth Navoni (Mansfield, Mass.) on an assist from Tonelli.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Maria Woodall (Norfolk, Mass.) played the first 51:16 minutes in goal for the Owls, stopping eight shots and earning the win.
- Westfield's Lambert led all scoring with four goals.
- Tonelli recorded three goals and an assist.
- Donohoe collected three goals and three draw controls for the Owls.
- Worcester State's Mackenzie Little (Marlborough, Mass.) won a game-high five draw and a game-high four ground balls for the Lancers. She had a team-high five shots but all were stopped by Westfield State.
- Freshman goalkeeper Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) took the loss in net for Worcester State. She stopped seven shots on the evening.
- Westfield held a 31-11 edge in shots, a slim 22-18 advantage in ground balls, and a 12-6 advantage in draw controls.