WENHAM, Mass. – The senior duo of Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) and Mackenzie Little (Marlboro, Mass.) combined for 8-of-12 Lancer goals in Worcester State University's 14-12 setback to Gordon College Thursday evening.
March 1, 2018
Score: Gordon 14, Worcester State 12
Records: Gordon (1-1) | Worcester State (0-2)
Gordon College started the scoring 28 seconds in on a man-up free position shot from Paige Thompson (West Chester, Pa.). Worcester State's Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) and Vecchiarelli teamed up on the next two goals, taking a 2-1 Lancer lead five minutes into the game. Worcester State and Gordon traded leads over the next eight minutes, but then the Fighting Scots' Katelyn Dyer (Plainfield, N.J.) and Olivia McCarrick (Glen Burnie, Md.) led Gordon to a 5-0 streak to attain a 7-3 lead with just over four minutes to go in the half. Vechiarelli tallied three additional goals in the remaining minutes, but Gordon matched that on scores from Greta Moore (Wheaton, Ill.) and Hannah Bourk (Barrington, R.I.) to end the first half with a score of 9-6 - Gordon on top.
The Lancers came back from the 3-point halftime deficit as Austin and Little directed the Lancers to five unanswered goals. The Lancers held an 11-9 advantage with 13:18 remaining in the game. Despite overcoming the shortfall, Gordon came striking back with goals from Lena Larson (Fredricksburg, Va.), Moore, and Dryer to take a 12-11 edge. Worcester State's Kylie Farrell (Sutton, Mass.) scored on a helper from Abby Magnuson (Ellington, Mass.) just under five minutes to go, but Gordon's McCarrick closed out the game with back-to-back shots to settle at a 14-12 score in favor of the Fighting Scots.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gordon's McCarrick led with six points on five goals and two assists.
- Worcester State's Vecchiarelli was the team-leader in goals with five. She also notched an assist in the setback.
- Little logged three goals and an assist, while Austin notched two goals and a game-high four assists.
- Worcester State's Coley Hayes (Norwood, Mass.) was the Lancers' game-leader with five ground balls.
- Worcester State's Austin and Little and Gordon's Dyer and McCarrick each registered five draws throughout the game.
- Worcester State held an advantage in shots (33-25), draws (15-11) and ground balls (20-19).
- Gordon College converted 4-of-5 (80%) free position shots, while Worcester State went 2-for-9 (22.2%)
- In goal, Kaitlyn Orber (Jurupa Valley, Calif.) earned the win with seven saves in 43:18 minutes played, while Worcester State's Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) suffered the setback in a 7-save performance.
The Worcester State women's lacrosse team breaks until March 9, when they host Colby-Sawyer in a 5 p.m. home opener at Coughlin Field.