WASHINGTON – The Worcester State University women's basketball team pulled ahead in the fourth quarter to defeat the Bison of Gallaudet 53-49 in a Sunday afternoon contest in the Gallaudet Field House.
December 3, 2017
Gallaudet Field House
Score: Worcester State 53, Gallaudet 49
Records: Worcester State (4-3) | Gallaudet (3-4)
Worcester State's Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) was the first to score as she nailed a triple just 34 seconds into the game. The Lancers' Kaitlyn Berkel (Waterford, Conn.) made two layups to put the Lancers up 7-2 succeeding a layup from Gallaudet's Kelli Barnes (Hope Mills, N.C.). The Blue and Gold held the lead until the Bison knotted the score at 7, 9, 11 before the Gallaudet gained a 3-point lead heading into the second frame.
Gallaudet pushed ahead succeeding a pair of free throws from Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) but Worcester State trimmed the gap on buckets from Britt Herring (West Brookfield, Mass.) and Kate Surprenant (Pelham, N.H.). In the last five minutes, the Lancers were scoreless as the Bison added in six points to head into the intermission ahead 25-18.
Worcester State cut Gallaudet's lead in the third following scores from Berkel and Surprenant and eventually tied the score at 31-31 with 3:57 to go in the frame. Worcester State's Emily Carens (Northboro, Mass.) put a layup up with 36 seconds on the clock to give the Lancers their first lead since the first quarter, though, Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) was fouled on a 3-point attempt and drained all three free throw's for Gallaudet to hold a 35-33 score going into the final quarter.
The Lancers came out with a 6-0 run to take the lead until Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska) made a jumper with 6:46 to go to knot the score at 39-39. After three lead changes, Worcester State took the final lead with 3:16 remaining on a layup from Herring. Worcester State saw its largest lead of the game (6) with 46 seconds to go and, despite a jumper and free throw from Neild, Worcester State won the battle 53-49.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Berkel registered a double-double of 14 points and 13 rebounds with a game-high seven assists in the win.
- Herring was one rebound short of a double-double, putting up 11 points for the Blue and Gold.
- Catherine Sweeney (Lowell, Mass.) collected eight points and a career-high 16 rebounds.
- Gallaudet was led by Neild who totaled 18 points on five field goals (2 3-pointers) and six free throws. She also logged eight rebounds.
- Worcester State outshot the Bison, shooting 24-for-65 (36.9%) from the field.
- Gallaudet shot 77.4% (17-22) from the charity stripe.
- Worcester State outrebounded Gallaudet 61-39.
- The Lancers scored 32 points in the paint.
- 17 of Gallaudet's points came from the bench.
- The game saw seven ties and eight lead changes.
The women's basketball team travels to Nichols on Thursday (Dec. 7) before returning home on Saturday (Dec. 9) when they host Springfield in an afternoon game.