WORCESTER, Mass. – The Worcester State University softball team swept the visiting Fitchburg State Falcons in league play by scores of 10-2 and 4-1 Tuesday evening to clinch at least a share of the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) title.
April 24, 2018
Records: Worcester State (18-9, 10-2 MASCAC) | Fitchburg State (11-17, 6-6 MASCAC)
GAME ONE: Worcester State 10, Fitchburg State 2 (5 inn.)
Kaiulani Ennis (Swansea, Mass.) batted 3-for-3 with a double, a triple, one run scored and five RBI to help the Lancers to a 10-2 win over Fitchburg State in game one of the twinbill.
Fitchburg State was first to score, as Nicole Sylvester (Everett, Mass.) hit home McKenzie Lambert (Wilbraham, Mass.) on a double to left center. Sylvester then scored on an RBI single from Cammi Sperling (Rutland, Mass.) for the 2-0 gain heading into the bottom of the inning.
The Lancers were held to a nil score until the bottom of the second inning when they scored four runs on two hits and one Falcon error. The Lancers loaded the bases and, with two outs on the board, Ennis tripled to right field to plate three runs. Another run crossed on a Fitchburg State fielding error to set the score to 4-2.
Worcester State increased their lead to seven in the bottom of the third inning when the Blue and Gold scored five runs on hits from Becky Brandeberry (Phillipston, Mass.), Samantha Stake (Worcester, Mass.), and Ennis.
Haley Scola (Worcester, Mass.) hit home the Lancers' final run of the game in the bottom of the fourth on a double to right field, settling the score at 10-2 after five innings.
Lancer senior pitcher, Dakota Smith-Porter (Montague, Mass.) shutout the visitors in two-of-three innings pitched, while closer Carly Zielinski (Monson, Mass.) allowed just one hit of eight batters faced. Each struck out two at the plate.
- The Lancers tallied 10 runs on 10 hits and three Fitchburg State errors.
- Ennis led the team going 3-for-3 with a double, triple, a run scored, and a game-high five RBI.
- Smith-Porter batted 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
- Stake registered two RBI for the home team.
- Fitchburg State's five hits were scattered amongst five players.
- Sylvester and Sperling each recorded an RBI in the setback.
- Falcons starting pitcher, Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) took the loss in 2 1/3 innings pitched. She allowed nine runs (two unearned) on six hits, and walked three. Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) threw 1 2/3 innings of relief and allowed one run on four hits.
GAME TWO: Worcester State 4, Fitchburg State 1
Worcester State used a four-run first inning to attain the lead on two-RBI home runs from both Sydney Despres (Sterling, Mass.) and Brandeberry.
Following scoreless second and third innings, the Falcons scored Hayley McCarthy (Lawrence, Mass.) on a Samantha Woodman (Essex, Mass.) single to the shortstop for the 4-1 score.
Worcester State's junior pitcher, Rachel Frisch (Worcester, Mass.) did not allow the Falcons a hit after the fourth inning which sealed the 4-1 Lancer win.
- Frisch went the distance and earned her sixth win of the season, as she allowed one run on four hits. She walked two batters, and struck out five at the plate.
- Brandeberry batted 2-for-3 in game two with one run scored and two RBI.
- Despres also registered two RBI and a run scored.
- Fitchburg's four hits were dispersed throughout the team.
- Woodman recorded the Falcons' lone RBI.
- Emma Campbell (Goffstown, N.H.) was tabbed her fifth loss of the season in a 1/3 inning performance. She allowed four runs on four hits in the first inning. She was relieved by Colvin who pitched 5 2/3 inning and shutout the hosts and allowed just three hits in her appearance.
The Lancers return to Rockwood Park tomorrow (Apr. 25) for a non-conference doubleheader against Brandeis, starting at 4 p.m. Fitchburg State returns home tomorrow to host Becker in a doubleheader, beginning at 3 p.m.