SALEM, Mass. – Worcester State swept Salem State 8-3 and 15-3 (5 innings) in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) doubleheader Sunday afternoon. Dakota Smith-Porter (Montague, Mass.) pitched a complete game, scattering four hits while allowing just two runs in a game one victory. Kaiulani Ennis (Swansea, Mass.) went 3-for-4 in game two, including a grand slam and five RBI as the Lancers ran away with a 15-3, five-inning victory.
April 22, 2018
Records: Worcester State (16-9, 8-2 MASCAC) | Salem State (10-19, 4-6 MASCAC)
GAME ONE: Worcester State 8, Salem State 3
Worcester State jumped on top 5-0 in the first with the aid of just two base hits. Following two walks and a single, a hit-by-pitch and two more walks plated the first two runs. Salem State starter Meghan Black (Winchendon, Mass.) was then replaced after recording only one out. IIeish Burney (Bristol, Conn.) came in to finish the inning and gave up an RBI single to Katie Polselli (Charlton, Mass.) and a sacrifice fly to Samantha Stake (Worcester, Mass.) for a five-run Lancers' lead.
Salem State notched a run in the second as catcher Samantha Holey (Lynn, Mass.) led-off with a walk and after taking third on a base hit by Dahlia DeCologero (Woburn, Mass.), scored on an errant throw by the catcher on a steal by DeCologero.
Ennis added a two-run single in the third to stake the Lancers to a 7-1 lead. The Vikings countered in the bottom of the inning as Chloe Manousos (Lowell, Mass.) doubled and later came home on a throwing error.
- Worcester State's Smith-Porter shutdown the Vikings' offense over the final three innings, as the senior did not allow a hit after the third inning. Smith-Porter struck out two and allowed three walks in picking up her sixth win of the season.
- Black was charged with five runs in 0.1 innings while Burney finished the game giving up three runs (one earned) on seven hits with a pair of walks.
- Ennis finished with three RBI while Polselli had two hits for the Lancers.
GAME TWO: Worcester State 15, Salem State 3 (5 inn.)
Once again Worcester State got off to a quick start, plating five runs in the first off Black. A double by Sydney Despres (Sterling, Mass.) and a walk to Smith-Porter along with a fielder's choice loaded the bases. Becky Brandeberry (Phillipston, Mass.) scored the first run reaching on an error. One batter later, Haley Scola (Worcester, Mass.) cleared the bases with a triple to right field for a 4-0 lead. A hit batter and walk brought in Brooke Westmoreland (Saugus, Mass.) to pitch for Salem State. Ennis then singled, making the score 5-0.
Two more runs in the second made it 7-0 as Kaci Panarelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Scola added RBI singles.
Rachel Frisch (Worcester, Mass.) cruised through the first three innings, allowing just one base runner on a walk.
Ennis made it 13-0 in the fourth as she launched a grand slam to centerfield for her fourth home run of the season. RBI's by Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) and Stake increased the lead to 15-1 in the fifth before Frisch despite allowing two runs in the fifth finished off the three-hitter.
Marisa Sanchez (Framingham, Mass.) added an RBI single in the fifth for Salem State.
- Frisch threw all five innings and allowed just one earned run with five strikeouts to improve to 5-3 on the year. Black gave up five unearned runs on three hits in 0.2 innings. Westmoreland was charged with seven earned runs on 11 hits with two strikeouts in 4.1 innings of relief.
- Scola finished 2-for-4 including a triple with four RBI for Worcester State.
The Lancers host Fitchburg State in a MASCAC doubleheader starting at 4 p.m. on Tuesday (Apr. 24).
Release Courtesy of Salem State Sports Information