WESTFIELD, Mass. – Four Worcester State University men's track & field student-athletes captured first place finishes on Saturday (Apr. 14) at the Gerry Gravel Classic, hosted by Westfield State. The Team ranked fifth of eight teams in attendance.
April 14, 2018
Gerry Gravel Classic
1st Place: Utica (134)
2nd Place: Westfield State (131)
3rd Place: Bridgewater State (125)
4th Place: UMass Dartmouth (95)
5th Place: Worcester State (87)
6th Place: Mass. Maritime (14)
7th Place: Castleton (11)
8th Place: Holyoke CC (6)
WORCESTER STATE TOP PERFORMERS
- Edward Boamah – 1st Place in 400 Meter Dash (49.76), 3rd Place in 200 Meter Dash (23.22), 11th Place in Long Jump (6.00m/19' 8.25")
- Marques Johnson – 1st Place in 800 Meter Run (1:57.87)
- Justin Lewis – 1st Place in High Jump (2.07m/6' 9.5")
- Marcus Vieira – 1st Place in Discus Throw (47.67m/156' 5"), 2nd Place in Hammer Throw (53.95m/177'), 10th Place in Shot Put (13.29m/43' 7.25")
- Scott Page – 2nd Place in Pole Vault (4.10m/13' 5.25")
- 4x400 Meter Relay – 2nd Place (Marques Johnson, Jeffrey Davis, Patrick Scheeler, Edward Boamah) (3:32.52)
- Elmer Acuna – 4th Place in Shot Put (14.62m/47; 11.75"), 5th Place in Discus Throw (43.46m/142' 7")
- Markiesh Harmon – 3rd Place in High Jump (1.88m/6' 2"), 9th Place in Triple Jump (12.21m/40' 0.75"), 15th Place in Long Jump (5.90m/19' 4.25")
- John Ojukwu – 3rd Place in 100 Meter Dash (11.17)
- Anthony Christo – 7th Place in Shot Put (13.67m/44' 10.25"), 7th Place in Hammer Throw (45.03m/147' 9"), 8th Place in Discus Throw (40.80m/133' 10")
- Omar Cordova – 7th Place in 400 Meter Hurdles (1:00.98)
- Patrick Donahue – 8th Place in 5000 Meter Run (17:58.57)
- Zachary Poitras – 9th Place in 200 Meter Dash (23.75), 10th Place in 100 Meter Dash (11.72)
- Jacob Roumanos – 10th Place in Discus Throw (40.40m/132' 6"), 12th Place in Shot Put (12.90m/42' 4")
- Christian Vera – 10th Place in 1500 Meter Run (4:40.06), 19th Place in 800 Meter Run (2:17.93)
Four Lancers earned a first place finish in their respective event on Saturday.
Edward Boamah (Worcester, Mass.) took first place in the 400 meter dash with a time of 49.76 to qualify for Division III New England's in the event. He also competed in the 200 meter dash (23.22) and the long jump (6.00m). Marques Johnson (West Hartford, Conn.) captured first place in the 800 meter run. He completed the run in a time of 1:57.87.
Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.) took first in the high jump (2.07m). Marcus Vieira (Peabody, Mass.) took first place in the discus throw (47.67m), and also took second place in the hammer throw (53.95m) and 10th in the shot put (13.29).
Scott Page (Baldwinville, Mass.) secured second place in the pole vault (4.10m) to qualify for Division III New England's. Worcester State's 4x400 meter relay team of Johnson, Jeffrey Davis (Old Lyme, Conn.), Patrick Scheeler (Wakefield, Mass.), and Boamah took second in a time of 3:32.52.
Both John Ojukwu (Stow, Mass.) and Markiesh Harmon (Leominster, Mass.) qualified for Division III New England's in their respective events. Ojukwu came in third in the 100 meter dash (11.17) while Harmon place third in the high jump (1.88m).
In addition to Vieira, Worcester State's throwers of Elmer Acuna (Newton, Mass.), Anthony Christo (Peabody, Mass.), and Jacob Roumanos (Whitman, Mass.) impressed as they qualified for Division III New England's in the shot put and hammer. Acuna marked a personal record in the discus throw at 43.46m (142' 7") and Christo marked personal records in both the shot put (13.67m/44' 10") and discus throw (49.80m/133' 10.25").
Freshman Omar Cordova (Worcester, Mass.) logged a personal best in the 400 meter hurdles (1:00.98) which was good for seventh place at the meet.
Next weekend, the team travels to the Springfield Invitational.