MEDFORD, Mass. – Worcester State University's Marcus Vieira (Peabody, Mass.) and Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.) both captured first place finishes in their respective events (Vieira, discus and hammer; Lewis, high jump) to lead the Lancers to a sixth place finish at the Tufts Snowflake Classic on Saturday.
March 31, 2018
Tufts Snowflake Classic
Clarence "Ding" Dussault Track
TOP-10 TEAM SCORES
1. Tufts (153)
2. WPI (119)
3. Bridgewater State (70)
4. Wesleyan (56)
5. Westfield State (50)
6. Worcester State (46)
7. Brandeis (45)
8. UMass Boston (36)
9. Plymouth State (34)
10. Amherst (31)
WORCESTER STATE TOP PERFORMERS
- Marcus Vieira – 1st Place in Discus (48.74m/159' 11"), 1st Place in Hammer (52.46m/172' 1")
- Justin Lewis – 1st Place in High Jump (2.11m/6' 11")
- Anthony Christo – 2nd Place in Discus (45.45m/149' 1")
- Eddy Acuna – 5th Place in Discus (40.30m/132' 3")
- Jacob Roumanos – 6th Place in Discus (38.71m/127'), 9th Place in Hammer (39.43m/129' 4")
- Marques Johnson - 8th Place in 800 Meter Run (2:01.08)
- Ryan Connolly – 10th Place in Triple Jump (12.31m/40' 4.75"), 17th Place in Long Jump (6.02m/19' 9")
Lewis took first place in the high jump with a height of 2.11m (6' 11") to score 10 points toward the team's total of 46. He trumped last week's height of 2.08m (6' 9.75") today.
Worcester State University's Vieira captured two first place finishes for 20 points in both the discus and the hammer. He marked a personal best in the discus. His previous mark was at 46.49m (152' 6.25"), and surpassed that with a top throw of 48.74m (159' 11") this weekend.
In addition to Vieira, three additional Lancers scored in the throwing events. Anthony Christo (Peabody, Mass.) slid in just behind Vieira in the discus with a distance of 45.45m (149' 1") for a personal best and second place in the event. Elmer Acuna (Newton, Mass.) came in fifth in the discus with a personal record of 40.30m (132' 3"), while Jacob Roumanos (Whitman, Mass.) came in sixth and ninth, respectively, in the discus and hammer throws. He had a personal best in the hammer.
The Lancers will travel to Springfield for the AIC Yellow Jacket Invitational next week.