MEDFORD, Mass. – The Worcester State University had a great showing at the Tufts Invite #1 as junior thrower, Marcus Vieira (Peabody, Mass.) broke his own record for a school record of 18.71m in the weight throw and the Lancers saw first place finishes from Eddy Acuna (Newton, Mass.) and Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.) along with another personal records from Edward Boamah (Worcester, Mass.) on Saturday.
January 13, 2018
Tufts Invite #1
No Team Scoring
WORCESTER STATE TOP PERFORMERS
- Eddy Acuna – 1st Place in Shot Put (14.71m/48-03.25), 11th Place in Weight Throw (13.18m/43-03.00)
- Justin Lewis – 1st Place in High Jump (2.03m/6-08)
- Marcus Vieira – 2nd Place in Weight Throw (18.71m/61-04.75), 4th Place in Shot Put (13.94m/45-09.00)
- Edward Boamah – 2nd Place in 200 Meter Dash (22.74), 2nd Place in 400 Meter Dash (50.52), 4th Place in Triple Jump (13.64m/44-09.00)
- Scott Page – 3rd Place in Pole Vault (4.10m/13-05.25), 13th Place in 60 Meter Hurdles (9.83)
- Markiesh Harmon – 6th Place in Long Jump (6.21m/20-04.50), 8th Place in High Jump (1.83m/6-0), 10th Place in Triple Jump (11.99m-39-4)
- Jacob Roumanos – 8th Place in Weight Throw (14.05m/46-01.25), 9th Place in Shot Put (13.53m/44-04-75)
- Marques Johnson – 9th Place in Mile Run (4:44.06)
- Colin Ford – 12th Place in Weight Throw (12.66m/41-06.50)
- Jeff Davis – 16th Place in 600 Meter Run (1:27.63)
Worcester State University's Vieira broke his own school record in the weight throw, as he threw for 18.71m in today's meet. A month ago, Vieira broke a school record with a distance of 18.42m at the Husky Invitational, trumping Sam Weeks who threw for 18.25m last year at Division III New England's. Presently, Vieira is second on the national list. In front of him, is today's top weight throw competitor, Jared Louf-Woods of UMass Dartmouth who threw for 18.83m. So far this season, Vieira has qualified for DIII New England's and All-New England's in the weight throw, and Division III New England's in the shot put.
Worcester State's Acuna and Lewis won in their respective events of shot put and high jump. Acuna logged a throw of 14.71 in the shot put to earn the top spot. He also competed in the weight throw, coming in 11th place at 13.18m. Lewis won in the high jump marking a height of 2.03m. Both have qualified for Division III New England's already, and Lewis is also on the All-New England qualifiers list for the high jump and currently stands at first place in all of Division III.
Worcester State saw some great performances from Boamah who came in 2nd in the 200 Meter Dash (22.74), 2nd place in the 400 Meter Dash (50.52) and 4th place in the triple jump (13.64m). Boamah has already qualified for Division III New England's and All-New England's in the 400, but also qualified himself for DIII New England's and All-New England's in the 200 Meter. Boamah posted a personal record in the triple jump and, with this result, qualifies for Division III New England's in the event.
The team will regroup on Saturday (Jan. 20) to travel to the Springfield Invitational #2.