PROVIDENCE, R.I. - One-hundred-and-ten minutes of action solved nothing on Wednesday evening as the Worcester State University men's soccer team played Rhode Island College to a 1-1 double-overtime draw in non-conference action at Alumni Field.
With the draw, both teams move to 1-1-1 on the young season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Worcester State struck early in just the fifth minute when sophomore midfielder Luke Szostkiewicz (Longmeadow, Mass.) fed a long ball forward to junior Mitch Myrthil (Clinton, Mass.) who lofted the ball over the charging keeper and into the corner of the net to give the visiting Lancers the 1-0 advantage.
• RIC knotted the game at the 16:38 mark when senior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, R.I.) fired a shot that hit off the post. Brandon Ramos (Boston, Mass.) was there to collect the rebound and bury his third goal of the season into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1.
• Despite the 1-1 score at halftime, RIC controlled the action in the first half, outshooting Worcester State by a 14-4 margin.
• It was more of a defensive battle in the second half with RIC outshooting the visiting Lancers by a 6-5 margin. Both teams had solid scoring chances, but neither could convert as regulation ended in a 1-1 deadlock.
• The two teams then battled through two 10-minute overtime periods before settling for the tie.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) had six stops for RIC, while junior netminder Henri Guilmette (Franklin, MA) tallied 10 saves for Worcester State.
• RIC had 22 shots in the game, while Worcester State notched 11 attempts.
• Worcester State held a 5-4 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
The Lancers will be back in action on Saturday hosting Roger Williams at Coughlin Field at 12 p.m.