WORCESTER, Mass. – The sixth seeded Westfield State Owls upset the third seeded Worcester State University Lancers in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) quarterfinal game, as the Owls' Kyle Mutti (Feeding Hills, Mass.) scored the game-winner in the 58th minute on a cross from Kieran Moriarty (West Springfield, Mass.).
October 31, 2017
Score: Westfield State 1, Worcester State 0
Records: Westfield State (8-9) | Worcester State (9-9)
The first half saw six shots from Westfield State, while Worcester State logged four. Westfield State's first scoring opportunity came in the 5th minute from Legen Mu'min (Springfield, Mass.), however it was scooped up by Worcester's senior netminder, Jason Barrett (Spencer, Mass.). The Owls saw another chance to score in the 35th minute when Connor Townsend (Wilmington, Mass.) registered a shot on net. The Lancers did not see one shot on net in the first frame, let alone the remainder of the contest.
The game-winner came in the 58th minute when Moriarty took the ball to the deep right corner. He made a cross that found the foot of Mutti who was standing by the near post and tapped it into the net, directing the ball over a diving Barrett. The Owls batted off two more shots on net throughout the remainder of the game, while Worcester State took four shots but were unable to put one on net.
DOWN FOR A COUNT
- Westfield State's Mutti tallied his fourth goal of the season, while Moriarty recorded his third assist of the year.
- Worcester State's Justin Connor (Rochdale, Mass.), Momodou Kabareh (Worcester, Mass.), Bryan Brasil (Williamsburg, Mass.), Obed Boateng (Worcester, Mass.), and Andre Ipojuca (Saugus, Mass.) each took two shots in tonight's contest.
- Westfield State's goaltender, Alex Kraver (West Springfield, Mass.) earned the shutout in net.
- Worcester State's Barrett suffered the loss in a 4-save performance.
- Worcester State held a 10-9 edge on shots throughout the game, however the Owls held a 5-0 margin in shots on goal.
- The Lancers held a 4-3 advantage in corner kicks.
Westfield State will advance to the semifinal round and travel to the second seeded Massachusetts Maritime on Friday for a 7 p.m. tilt. Worcester State wraps up the 2017 campaign with a 9-9 season record.