WORCESTER, Mass. – An early goal by Worcester State's Obed Boateng (Worcester, Mass) proved to be the game-winner, as the Lancers knocked off the Corsairs in non-conference action 2-0, at Coughlin Field.
October 19, 2017
Score: Worcester State 2, UMass Dartmouth 0
Records: Worcester State (8-6) | UMass Dartmouth (3-8-1)
Worcester State opened the scoring just four minutes into the contest as Boateng found the back of the net off of a deflection at the top of the box. For Boateng, this is his 2nd goal of the year. At the half Worcester State led in shots 8-6. UMass Dartmouth's Danny Andrade (New Bedford, Mass) had two saves, whereas Worcester State's Jason Barrett (Spencer, Mass) had three saves for the Lancers.
The second half was played mostly in the midfield with a few chances for both teams. In the 78th minute, the Lancers almost notched another goal when senior Andre Ipojuca (Saugus, Mass) got a lead pass ahead and took a powerful strike but UMass Dartmouth's substitute goalie, Ryan Viera (Rochester, Mass.), was up to the task, making an acrobatic save. In the 88th minute Worcester State found the back of the net as junior forward Bryan Brasil (Williamsburg Mass) got the ball inside the box off of a blocked shot and capitalized, giving the Lancers a 2-0 lead. In the end, UMass Dartmouth led the second half in corner kicks 3-1 and in total 6-2. Worcester State got the lone goal of the half, resulting in a 2-0 victory.
COUNT ME IN
- Worcester State's Boateng scored the lone goal for the game; his second goal on the year.
- Worcester State's senior goalkeeper, Barrett ,improves his record to 5-4 on the year, while UMass Dartmouth's goalie Andrade falls to a record of 2-4-1.
- The Lancers led the game in shots 17-11 with Brasil, Etjon Rapi (Worcester, Mass.), and Boateng each tallying three of their own.
- UMass Dartmouth's Junior Robert (Providence, R.I.) led his team in shots with three.
- After a chippy game, the Lancers had 17 fouls, as the Corsairs had 12.
- UMass Dartmouth led in corner kicks 6-2, having three total in each half. The Lancers had two corner kicks, one per half.
Prior to the game, Worcester State recognized the 2017 men's soccer senior class: goalkeeper #1 Jason Barrett (Spencer, Mass.), defenseman #2 Eric Davis (Hudson, Mass.), defenseman #3 Matthew Dent (Ludlow, Mass.), defenseman #5 Ryan Almeida (Palmer, Mass.), midfielder, #10 Etjon Rapi (Worcester, Mass.), forward #16 Andre Ipojuca (Saugus, Mass.), midfielder #19 Jonathan Silva (Worcester, Mass.), and forward #23 Kwame Ofori.
The Worcester State men's soccer team will match up against MASCAC opponent, Framingham State, on Saturday (Oct. 21) in Framingham. The Corsairs also resume play on Saturday when they return home for a 4:00 p.m. matchup against Little East Conference opponent, Southern Maine.
Release written by Collin Quinn | Sports Information Intern