Men’s Soccer Overcomes Two-Goal Deficit and Defeats Mitchell in Overtime, 4-3

Men’s Soccer Overcomes Two-Goal Deficit and Defeats Mitchell in Overtime, 4-3

NEW LONDON, Conn. -  The Worcester State University men's soccer team overcame a two-goal deficit and defeated Mitchell College on a timely overtime goal from Mitch Myrthil (Clinton, Mass.) for the 4-3 win Saturday afternoon.


September 9, 2017
Alumni Field
Score: Worcester State 4, Mitchell 3 (OT)
Records: Worcester State (1-1) | Mitchell (0-2-1)


1st HALF

Worcester State started the scoring in the 4th minute when Ryan Almeida (Palmer, Mass.) found Etjon Rapi (Worcester, Mass.) in the center from the right side for the 1-0 score.


2nd HALF

Mitchell pulled through in the second half with two goals in a six minute span to take the 2-1. Mitchell Andrew Sorton (Oxford, England) scored the Mariners' first goal in the 64th minute on helpers from Quinn Outerbridge (Hamilton, Bermuda) and Christian Urena (Griswold, Conn.). Urena served up another assist in the 70th minute as the Mariners took their first lead. He dribbled along the left end line and threaded a pass through the box that found William Ferguson (Old Lyme, Conn.) all alone. Ferguson had time to settle the pass and unleash a laser into the back of the net to put Mitchell on top.

Worcester State answered back almost immediately as Rapi cut into the deficit just 44 seconds later. He lined up near the right post as the Lancers put a ball into the box off a restart from just over midfield. The service ball was played to the left post and deflected across the goal by a defender. The ball bounced once before Rapi, with his back to the goal, scissor-kicked it home to pull the Lancers to within one.

The Mariners tried to kill the clock in the final minutes but couldn't hold on in the final seconds. Worcester State's final crack at the equalizer began with another restart—this one just outside the box—with 20 seconds to go. The ball was served into a scrum in front of the net, and the first of three shots was saved by goalie Seth Strader (Preston, Conn.). The second was blocked by a defender, the result of which was a loose ball at the top of the six-yard box. Myrthil then headed the ball to the left post, where Brasil came diving in for a header of his own that slipped into the left corner.



It didn't appear that the first overtime would yield a golden goal until the late stages. A foul in the final 30 seconds of the stanza gave Mitchell a chance at a restart near the right end line. The service ball ended up being intercepted by goalkeeper Jason Barrett (Spencer, Mass.), who then rushed to the top of the box and delivered a long pass into the midfield. Rapi caught up to the ball and slid to knock it forward to the streaking Myrthil, who had a step on his defender and a one-on-one look against Strader. Myrthil slid his shot inside the near post to end the game and give Worcester State its first win of the young season.



  • Worcester State's Rapi finished with two goals and assisted the game-winner.
  • Myrthil completed the occasion with one goal and one.
  • Barrett finished with eight saves while Strader made three.
  • Both teams were even at 15 shots apiece, although Mitchell held a 10-4 edge in corner kicks.



The Lancers' next game is scheduled for Wednesday, September 13 when they will travel to Johnson State for a 2 p.m. non-conference game.



Follow Worcester State Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube


Portions of this Release Courtesy of Mitchell Sports Information