WORCESTER, Mass. – After falling behind 5-2 as Worcester State scored five goals in the second period, the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs battled back in the final period to settle for a 6-6 tie with the Lancers in a Sunday evening Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game.
February 18, 2018
Worcester Ice Center
Score: Worcester State 6, UMass Dartmouth 6
Records: Worcester State (13-9-2, 8-7-2 MASCAC) | UMass Dartmouth (10-12-3, 7-8-3 MASCAC)
The first period was silent in comparison to the other periods as UMass Dartmouth's Jonathan Ruiz (Williamstown, N.J.) scored a power play goal with just 40 seconds to go in the frame on an assist from Steven Leonard (Rockaway Park, N.Y.).
Worcester State dominated the second period, outshooting the visitors 32-7 in the frame. The Lancers tied the game in the 5th minute on an unassisted goal from Nick Patullo (Doylestown, Pa.). The Lancers took a 2-1 lead five minutes later on a Mike Moran (Milford, Mass.) power play goal, assisted by Matthew Manning (Novi, Mich.) and Tim Drevitch (Oxford, N.J.). The Corsairs' Jeff Kirkwood (Ithaca, N.Y.) came back with a goal within the next minute to knot the score for the second time of the game, at 2-2. Worcester State then ended the frame with a 3-0 scoring spurt as they saw another power play goal from Moran, a power play goal from Manning, and the fifth Lancer goal from Drevitch on a pass from Moran.
The Lancers headed into the third period ahead 5-2, but the Corsairs took control and battled back in the final frame for the end result of a tie. Casey Shea (Woburn, Mass.) started the scoring in the third for UMass Dartmouth, on a helper from Mike Sones (Waterdown, Ont.). Worcester State's Khalil East (Los Angeles, Calif.) scored a minute later to give the Lancers back a 3-point lead. However, Sones scored one himself and then the Corsairs scored two back-to-back shorthanded goals from Jay Clarke (Forston, Ga.) and Ruiz, both on assists from Holmes, to bring the game to a 6-6 score. The Corsairs held a 19-9 margin in shots on net in the third period.
Coming off of three consecutive goals, the Corsairs kept their momentum going in the overtime period and outshot the Lancers, 5-0. However, Worcester State sophomore goaltender, Josh Reinstein (Woodland Hills, Calif.) stopped all the shots to preserve the 6-6 draw.
DOWN FOR A COUNT
- Worcester State's Moran and UMass Dartmouth's Ruiz led the scoring with two goals apiece.
- Drevitch finished the contest with one goal and two assists, while Manning ended the night with a goal and an assist.
- UMass Dartmouth's Shea and Sones each recorded a goal and an assist, while Holmes assisted the two final goals of the evening.
- Reinstein made 39 saves throughout the evening, while Corsars' senior netminder, Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) stopped 45-of-51 shots on net.
- Worcester State converted on 3-of-5 (.600) power play opportunities, while UMass Dartmouth went 1-for-3 (.333)
- Overall, Worcester State held a 51-45 edge in shots throughout the game.
Worcester State wraps up the regular season on Tuesday (Feb. 20) at Fitchburg State. UMass Dartmouth will await MASCAC post-season pairings which will come out later Tuesday night.