WORCESTER, Mass. – The Assumption Greyhounds defeated the Worcester State University Lancers by a score of 3-2 in a Tuesday evening non-conference cross-town matchup inside the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center.
February 6, 2018
Worcester Ice Center
Score: Assumption 3, Worcester State 2
Records: Assumption (13-9-2) | Worcester State (12-8-1)
Assumption striked first as John Chamberlain (Amesbury, Mass.) skated into the offensive zone and took a shot from the middle of the ice, connecting with the upper right-hand corner of the net. Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass.) and Matt Demelio (Rochester, N.Y.) assisted the first goal of the game. The Lancers would respond after a fight behind the net as Mitchell Purdie (Peterborough, Ont.) fired a shot past Greyhound goalie David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich.) knotting the game up at 1-1. Assists were awarded to Matthew Manning (Novi, Mich.) and Michael Moran (Milford, Mass.).
Assumption took a quick 2-1 lead just 47 seconds into the second frame on a breakaway. Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Penn.) left the puck to the right side of the net for Laughlin to shoot from the right faceoff circle, past the blocker of Cory Lignelli (Glastonbury, Conn.), for the advantage. Assumption would score again in the period when Demelio would track down the puck behind the net before passing the puck out to the blue line to find Kieran Peters (New Glasgow, Nova Scotia) who fired the puck in towards Tom Mahoney (Braintree, Mass.), who redirected to score, making the score 3-1.
The lone goal of the third period came off of a shot from the left side of the net just inside the faceoff circle when Nick Patullo (Doylestown, Pa.) dumped the puck off for Mike Palmer (Grafton, Mass.) who was able to connect and find the back of the net closing the Greyhound lead to one. The game ended with Assumption edging out the Lancers, 3-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Laughlin led the Greyhounds' offense with a goal and an assist on the evening.
- Damelio logged two helpers in the win.
- Assumptions' Mahoney won 12-of-19 (63.2%) faceoffs.
- Zulaf earned his ninth win of the season in a 20-save performances.
- Worcester State's Lignelli suffered the loss in 20:43 minutes played. Aaron Callan (South Lyon, Mich.) finished the game in net, stopping 15-of-16 shots.
- Overall, Assumption held a 26-22 margin in shooting throughout the contest.
- Neither team was able to convert on power plays. Assumption was 0-for-3, while Worcester State went 0-for-2.
The Worcester State men's ice hockey team returns to the ice on Thursday (Feb. 8) as they travel to Salem State for a 7 p.m. puck drop. Assumption wraps up the regular season next weekend as they host Post in a 2-game series starting Friday, Feb. 16.
Release written by Nicholas Gendreau | Sports Information Intern