FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Worcester State University's Mitchell Purdie (Peterborough, Ont.) assisted 3-of-5 goals in the Lancers' win over Stonehill Tuesday (Dec. 12) evening inside the Foxboro Sports Complex.
December 12, 2017
Foxboro Sports Complex
Score: Worcester State 5, Stonehill 2
Records: Worcester State (10-1) | Stonehill (4-7-1)
Just 20 seconds into the game, Stonehill was called on a tripping penalty, which led to the first power play opportunity of the game. Worcester State capitalized on the chance, and quickly put a number on the scoreboard when Purdie and Mike Moran (Milford, Mass.) setup Jake Karelas (Melrose, Mass.) for a power play goal. Later in the period, Stonehill knotted the score at 1-1 as Connor Jewett (Berlin, N.H.) put the puck past Josh Reinstein (Woodland, Hills, Calif.) on a helper from Thomas Mahoney (Suffern, N.Y.).
Going into the second period tied 1-1, Worcester State broke out to a 2-1 lead following another Lancer power play goal, this time from Andy DeAngelis (Poughquag, N.Y.) and assisted by Moran and Cody Weaver (West Greenwich, R.I.). Worcester State's Brendan Boyle (Beverly, Mass.) added in an unassisted goal in the 17th minute to put the Blue and Gold ahead 3-1 heading into the final frame.
After a scoreless first 15 minutes of the third period, Worcester State's Erik Pritchard (Cave Creek, Ariz.) scored on assists from Purdie and Andrew Etheridge (Burrillville, R.I.) in the 16th minute to put Worcester up 4-1. The Skyhawks cut the Lancers lead to just two a minute and a half later on another goal from Jewett, but Worcester State capped the night off with an empty net goal from Etheridge, assisted by Pritchard and Purdie, for the 5-2 win.
DOWN FOR A COUNT
- Stonehill's Jewett led the Skyhawks with two goals.
- Worcester State's Purdie earned game-high honors in assists with three. Moran assisted two goals on the evening.
- Etheridge and Pritchard each had a goal and an assist in the win.
- Etheridge also won a game-high 11 faceoffs on 20 attempts.
- Reinstein improves to 8-1 on the season after turning away 21 shots in the 60 minutes played.
- Stonehill's Billy Palmer (Cranston, R.I.) stopped 24-of-28 goals on net.
- Worcester State outshot Stonehill, 29-23.
- The Lancers converted on 2-of-3 power play opportunities, while Stonehill went 0–for-3.
The men's ice hockey team breaks until January 6 when they travel to Plymouth State for a conference game.