WORCESTER, Mass. – Worcester State University's junior forward, Michaila Parent (Westborough, Mass.) broke the Worcester State University single-season assist record and all Worcester State senior field players scored in the Lancers' 9-0 senior night shutout over Becker College on Thursday night.
October 26, 2017
Score: Worcester State 9, Becker 0
Records: Worcester State (14-3) | Becker (1-17)
Worcester State scored the first goal of the game in the 5th minute as Jolane Thibault (Douglas, Mass.) brought the ball in from the right side and sliced one past Becker's goaltender from 5-yards out. Thibault tallied again in the 9th minute on another unassisted goal to put the Lancers up 2-0. Worcester State's Hayley Sutherland (Tewksbury, Mass.) added to the lead with a good penalty stroke in the 31st minute to go into the intermission ahead, 3-0. Sutherland is 3-for-3 on penalty strokes thus far this season.
Thibualt began the second half with a goal off a helper from Parent. Parent passed the ball from the left side and found its way through Becker's defense to Thibault's stick for the 4-0 gain. Lindsay Ryan (Northbridge, Mass.) scored just three minutes later on a helper from Thibault. In the 41st minute Olivia Antonelli (Westford, Mass.) tallied her ninth goal of the season, and Parent followed minutes later with her 18th goal of the season. Becker's two shots came from Lauren Niemann (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and Katherine Bernier (Dudley, Mass.) in the 50th and 65th minutes, respectively. However, one went wide and one was stopped by Worcester's relief goalie, Jenna Jenkins (Westwood, Mass.). Worcester State's senior Hayley D'Auteuil (Sutton, Mass.) concluded the contest with two goals, putting final score at 9-0.
BY THE BOOK
- Thibualt led the Lancers offensively as she racked up three goals and an assist for seven points.
- Each of the four field senior players scored in tonight's contest.
- Parent broke the record for assists in a single season with a team-best three in the win (14 in the 2017 season). Parent bested Worcester State's Julie O'Rourke who tallied 13 assists during the 2013 season. Parent now currently stands in second place on the all-time career assists record book.
- Worcester State's Kathryn Salemme (Boxborough, Mass.) and Jenkins combined for a shutout.
- Becker's Alexis Barry (Manchester, N.H.) suffered the loss in goal as she tallied 20 saves throughout the night.
The Lancers begin Little East Conference (LEC) tournament play on Saturday (Oct. 28) when they host the eighth seeded Western Connecticut in a 7 p.m. tilt. Becker wraps up their season on Sunday (Oct. 29) with a road game at Bay Path.