PAXTON, Mass. – Worcester State University's Olivia Antonelli (Westford, Mass.) and Sophia Monopoli (Worcester, Mass.) tallied two goals apiece to help guide the Lancers to a 5-1 non-conference victory over the Anna Maria AMCATS Thursday afternoon.
September 21, 2017
Score: Worcester State 5, Anna Maria 1
Records: Worcester State (5-2) | Anna Maria (2-5)
Worcester State commenced the scoring in the 4th minute when Jess Wilding (Somerset, Mass.) setup Monopoli for the 1-0 mark. Anna Maria responded quickly after and registered a goal just 56 seconds later on a tally from Nicole Denver (Springfield, Mass.), assisted by Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, Mass.). Another shot on net wasn't seen until the 28th minute of the game when Worcester State's Katelyn Santos (Acushnet, Mass.) notched one, but it was not able to get past Anna Maria's goaltender, Danielle Huston (Spencer, Mass.). Worcester State fired off three additional shots on net in the first stanza, but the score remained at 1-1 going into the intermission.
The Lancers came out strong in the second half as they tallied four goals in the stanza. Monopoli scored the game-winner in the 38th minute. Antonelli followed with two back-to-back goals in the 51st and 58th minutes. Then the Lancers' Santos put the final tally on the board in the 60th minute to give Worcester State to the 5-1 win.
- Antonelli and Monopli picked up their fourth and third goals of the season, respectively.
- Michaila Parent (Westborough, Mass.) matched a career-high three helpers in the win, as she assisted three of the four goals in the second half.
- Worcester State held a 15-4 advantage in shots and a 10-4 edge in penalty corners.
- Kathryn Salemme (Boxborough, Mass.) earned her fifth win of the season in the cage, as she made two stops in 65:20 minutes of play, before handing off the goal to teammate Jenna Jenkins (Westwood, Mass.) who finished out the game and did not see a shot on net.
- Anna Maria's Huston was tabbed the loss in net, as she made eight stops in the 70-minute performance.
Worcester State resumes play on Saturday (Sep. 23) when they travel to Salem State for a 12 noon Little East Conference matchup. Anna Maria plays on the same date as they host Johnson & Wales at 11 a.m.