WORCESTER, Mass. – Worcester State University's junior forward Michaila Parent (Westborough, Mass.) tallied two goals and three assists to help power the Blue and Gold to a 7-1 Little East Conference (LEC) victory over the visiting Western Connecticut Colonials Saturday afternoon.
September 16, 2017
Score: Worcester State 7, Western Connecticut 1
Records: Worcester State (3-2, 2-0 LEC) | Western Connecticut (2-4, 2-1 LEC)
Worcester State dominated the first half of play, scoring five goals and totaling 17 shots in comparison to Western Connecticut's five shots. The Lancers started the scoring in the third minute when Sophia Monopoli (Worcester, Mass.) tallied an unassisted goal. Just seven minutes later, Worcester State capitalized on a breakaway when Parent passed from the right side to an open Jolane Thibault (Douglas, Mass.) for the 2-0 tally.
Worcester State added two more points to the scoreboard in the 22nd and 24th minutes when Jess Wilding (Somerset, Mass.) scored following a penalty corner, and Parent tallied her second of the day. The Colonials allotted Worcester State one more goal before the half when Olivia Antonelli (Westford, Mass.) slid one past Western Connecticut's goaltender, Neve Manion (Newington, Conn.).
Western Connecticut was able to reach the scoreboard in the second half when Morgan Matthews (Bethel, Conn.) took the ball down the middle following a penalty corner for the 5-1 score. Worcester State responded two minutes later with another goal. Antonelli took a shot on net, and it was saved by Manion, however, she found the remnants of the save and pass ahead to an open Parent standing in front of the cage for the 6-1 gain.
Worcester State put the final number on the scoreboard in the 60th minute when Thibault tallied her second goal of the day.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Worcester State's attack was led by both Parent and Thibault. Parent collected two goals and three assists, while Thibault also picked up a game-high two goals and chipped in an assist. Antonelli registered a goal and an assist for the Blue and Gold.
- Western Connecticut's Matthews was the sole scorer, while she also went 3-for-3 on shots on goals. Carly Matasavage (Middlebury, Conn.) took game-high honors of five shots on net.
- In goal, Worcester State's Kathryn Salemme (Boxborough, Mass.) took the win and improves to 3-2 on the season in a 10-save performance. Jenna Jenkins (Westwood, Mass.) relieved Salemme and saw 10:51 in goal.
- Western Connecticut's Manion tallied 11 saves in the loss, while Western Connecticut's defenders Greta McConnell (Norwalk, Conn.) and Shannon Lynch (Sandy Hook, Conn.) recorded defensive saves.
- Hayley Sutherland (Tewksbury, Mass.) tallied the sole defensive save for Worcester.
- Worcester State held an overall 25-13 advantage in shots, while Western Connecticut outstripped Worcester State in penalty corners 13-4.
- Worcester State serves Western Connecticut its first LEC loss of the season.
Both teams return to LEC action on Tuesday, Sep. 19 when Worcester State travels to Framingham State and the Colonials head to Fitchburg State.