WORCESTER, Mass. – The Worcester State University baseball team dropped their season finale and senior day game to Clark University by a score of 8-6 in a Sunday afternoon matchup on the Granger Turf.
April 29, 2018
Score: Clark 8, Worcester State 6
Records: Clark (25-10) | Worcester State (12-26)
10 runs scored in the first inning between the two teams. With one out on the board, Clark's Kyle Bonicki (Waterbury, Conn.) tripled to right center, and was sent home on a Teddy Downing (Cambridge, Mass.) double to left field on the next at bat. With two outs, Clark kept swinging and had back-to-back RBI singles from Derek Lefebvre (Groton, Mass.), Nick Jordan (Seaford, N.Y.), and Andrew Thibualt (Nashua, N.H.) for the 5-0 advantage.
However, Worcester State matched that in the reverse side of the inning as Worcester State's Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.) and Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.) each had two and three RBI, respectively, home runs for the tie score going into the second inning.
Only three hits were recorded (2 Clark, 1 Worcester) in the second through sixth innings.
Clark took a three-run lead in the top of the seventh inning off Worcester State's relief pitcher Josh Boucher (Auburn, Mass.). The Cougars scored the runs on an RBI double from Zach Kelley (Rehoboth, Mass.) and a two-RBI triple from Lefebvre.
Worcester State was shutout in the reverse side of the seventh inning by Clark's relief pitcher Conor Walsh (Marstons Mills, Mass.), but was able to put an unearned run on the scoreboard in the bottom of the eighth on a sacrifice fly from Dombroski.
The score stood at 8-6 heading into the ninth, and neither team recorded a hit to settle that as the final score.
- Clark's Lefebvre batted 2-for-3 with a walk, a triple, one run scored, and a game-high three RBI.
- Bonicki batted 2-for-4 with a walk, triple, and two runs scored.
- Kelley and Downing also each registered two hits for the Cougars in the win.
- Worcester State's Breton batted 2-for-5 with one run scored and three RBI, while Ferrara led the Lancers with three RBI.
- Clark's Walsh earned his first win of the season on the mound in a five-inning performance. He allowed just one run on one hit and struck out three at the plate. He relieved Patrick Robinson (Watertown, Conn.) who pitched the four innings prior.
- Worcester State's senior, Gibbons, started on the mound and allowed five runs (one unearned) on six hits. Relief pitcher, Boucher, took the loss in two innings.
- Issiac Christiansen (Franklin, Maine) pitched 2 2/3 innings of relief for Worcester State and held Clark hitless.