NORTHBORO, Mass. – The No. 9/9 UMass Boston Beacons hit six homers, including three from Chris Fowler (Barnstable, Mass.) to defeat the Lancers of Worcester State by a score of 16-6 Thursday afternoon in a non-conference game at the New England Baseball Complex.
April 5, 2018
New England Baseball Complex
Score: UMass Boston 16, Worcester State 6
Records: UMass Boston (15-5) | Worcester State (4-16)
Worcester State reached the scoreboard in the bottom of the first inning on a sacrifice fly from Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, Conn.), but UMass Boston responded with a monstrous eight runs in the top of the second inning to make it a 7-run game. In the second inning alone, there were four home runs, including two from Fowler.
The Beacons added one run in the top of the third on an RBI groundout, and then tacked on two runs in both the top of the fourth and fifth innings to set the score at 13-1. The top of the fifth inning featured home runs from Dave Murphy (Plymouth, Mass.) and Fowler. On the reverse side of the fifth inning, Worcester State would attain another run on a UMass Boston error.
Worcester State cut their deficit to eight runs (13-5) as they added another run in the bottom of the sixth and scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh on RBI from Parker Bigelow (Leominster, Mass.) and Keith Dombroski (Sutton, Mass.).
Following a scoreless eighth inning, UMass Boston wrapped up the day with three additional runs in the top of the ninth on an RBI single from Nick Palma (Peabody, Mass.) and a 2-RBI double from Kyle Penney (Tolland, Conn.).
The Lancers capped the day off with a solo homer from Patrick Grow (Worcester, Mass.) in the bottom of the ninth for a 16-6 final score.
- The Beacons scored their 16 runs on 18 hits and two Lancer errors, while Worcester State drove in six runs on 12 hits and three UMass Boston errors.
- Fowler led the Beacons offensively, going 5-for-5, including three home runs and a double. He and teammate Murphy each sent in a game-high three runs, as Murphy hit two homers himself on the occasion.
- Nick Herzog (Riverhead, N.Y.), Wanderson Pinales (Bani, Dominican Republic), and Joey Rogers (Dighton, Mass.) each had two hits apiece in the win.
- Worcester State's Grow batted a perfect 3-for-3 with a homer, and three runs scored.
- Bigelow came in halfway through the game and batted 2-for-2.
- Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.) collected three hits and scored two runs for the Blue and Gold.
- UMass Boston used six pitchers, and the win went to Sal Frosceno (Derby, Conn.) who relieved starting pitcher, Tyler Arruda (New Bedford, Mass.) after four innings and pitched one inning and did not allow any earned runs.
- Worcester State's starter, Josh Boucher (Auburn, Mass.) took the loss in a 2 2/3 innings pitched performance. He allowed nine runs on eight hits and struck out four. Eric Vecsey (Worcester, Mass.) pitched three innings in relief and did not allow a single run.
- In total the two teams left 20 men on base (11 UMass Boston, 9 Worcester State).
Worcester State travels to Bridgewater State on Saturday (Apr. 7) for a conference doubleheader, starting at 12 noon.