BOSTON, Mass. – The No. 9/9 UMass Boston Beacons scored 11 runs on 11 hits and three Lancer errors to defeat Worcester State by a score of 11-9 in a Tuesday afternoon non-conference matchup at Monan Park.
April 3, 2018
Score: UMass Boston 11, Worcester State 9
Records: UMass Boston (14-5) | Worcester State (4-15)
Following a scoreless first two innings, UMass Boston broke through with one run on two hits and one Lancer error in the bottom of the third inning. Nick Herzog (Riverhead, N.Y.) hit home Ryan McCormick (Cumberland, R.I.) for the first run of the game on a sacrifice fly.
Worcester State amassed four runs on five hits in the top of the fourth inning to take the lead. The four runs were scored on RBI singles from Keith Dombroski (Sutton, Mass.), Kenan Kolanda (Sterling, Mass.), and William Roberge (Warwick, R.I.) while the other run was scored on a passed ball.
UMass Boston took back the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning when they scored seven runs on six hits and two Lancer errors. The inning saw a single and a double from Dave Murphy, along with singles from Herzog and Kyle Boudrias (Medford, Mass.) and doubles from Chris Fowler (Barnstable, Mass.) and Anthony Cecere (Wakefield, Mass.).
Worcester State propelled back with four runs in the top of the sixth inning to place the score at 8-8 as the inning was highlighted by a 3-run triple from Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.).
Though, the Beacons pushed back with three runs in the bottom of the sixth on just one hit from Eddie Riley (Quincy, Mass.).
Worcester State scored one more run in the top of the eighth on an RBI single from Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.), but UMass Boston held on for the 11-9 win.
- UMass Boston's Fowler was a 2-for-2 at the plate with three walks for a perfect 1.000 on base percentage.
- Murphy batted 3-for-5 with one run scored and two RBI for the Beacons, while Boudrias batted 2-for-5 with two RBI as well.
- Worcester State's offense was led by Palatino who collected three hits on a single, double, and triple and walked once for a .750 on base percentage. He also tallied game-high three RBI in the setback for Worcester State.
- The Lancers' remaining six hits were scattered amongst six players.
- Between the two teams, nine pitchers made appearances.
- UMass Boston's Alex Carusotto (Pittsfield, Mass.) earned the win on the mound as he gave up no runs, no walks, and no hits in 1 1/3 innings pitched. Bobby Tramondozzi (Peabody, Mass.) took the save. The Beacons' five pitchers struck out 10 Lancer batters.
- The Lancers' Owen Gibbons (Sterling, Mass.) suffered the loss in a 1 1/3 inning performance.
- In total, there were 20 men left on base this afternoon (7 for Worcester, 13 for UMass Boston).
The Worcester State baseball team will matchup against the Beacons again on Thursday (Apr. 5), this time in Worcester, Mass. The first pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Kevin D. Lyons Diamond.