AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Worcester State University baseball team completed Florida play at the RussMatt Invitational on Saturday, and dropped a twinbill against the Pioneers of Grinnell College.
March 24, 2018
Lake Myrtle Sports Complex
Scores: Grinnell 9, Worcester State 3 | Grinnell 5, Worcester State 2
Records: Grinnell (3-10) | Worcester State (3-11)
GAME ONE: Grinnell 9, Worcester State 3
Grinnell defeated the Lancers in the first game as they scored nine runs on 12 hits and three Lancer errors, while holding Worcester State to just three runs on four hits.
The Pioneers reached the scoreboard in the top of the first inning as Carson Gampell (Los Altos, Calif.) drove in a run on a double to centerfield. Grinnell added another run in the top of the second on an RBI single from Jared Booth (Mount Vernon, Iowa).
Grinnell pushed ahead in the fourth and fifth innings, plating three and two runs, respectively. Worcester State adjusted the score to 7-3 in the bottom of the sixth, but Grinnell concluded the game with two runs in the top of the seventh for the 9-3 final.
- Grinnell's pitching staff held the Lancers to just four hits and three runs. Andrew Mack (Libertyville, Ill.) earned the win in four innings pitched. He allowed just one run on two hits and struck out five batters. Ryan Moeller (Mountain View, Calif.) pitched the last three innings and allowed just two runs on two hits and recorded three strikeouts.
- Worcester State's Josh Boucher (Auburn, Mass.) took the loss on the mound in a 5-inning performance. He allowed seven runs (four unearned) on eight hits.
- Offensively for the Pioneers, Andrew Shults (South Pasadena, Calif.), Sam Galanek (Atlanta, Ga.), Booth and Nathan Zaroban (Nebraska City, Neb.) each registered two hits each.
- Gampell led the Pioneers' in RBI with three. Benjamin Wong (San Jose, Calif.) tallied two.
- Worcester State's four hits were scattered amongst four players: Palatino, Colin Medeiros (Fall River, Mass.), William Roberge (Warwick, R.I.), and Kolanda.
- Roberge led with two RBI.
GAME TWO: Grinnell 5, Worcester State 2
Grinnell took the sweep in the second game as they scored five runs on nine hits and a Lancer error.
Grinnell took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, but Worcester State came back with two runs in the top of the third inning on RBI from Medeiros and Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.).
Grinnell tied the score at 2-2 in the bottom of the inning on a sac fly from Brad Weaver (Riverwoods, Ill.) and then took back the lead in the bottom of the fourth on a 2-RBI triple from Shults.
The Pioneers added another run in the bottom of the sixth and did not allow the Lancers to score again after the third inning to conclude the sweep.
- Worcester State's Palatino batted 3-for-4 with one run.
- Medeiros and Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, Conn.) each registered two hits in the setback.
- Grinnell's offense was led by Shults who went 3-for-4 with two runs and a game-high three RBI.
- Galanek and Quinton McNitt (Gainesville, Fla.) each had two hits apiece.
- The Lancers left seven men on base, while Grinnell left just three on.
- Grinnell's Sam Lamotte (Gurnee, Ill.) earned the win on the mound in a 5-inning performance, while Nathan Lu (Pleasanton, Calif.) earned the save in two innings pitched.
- Worcester State's rookie, Sean Mahan (Woburn, Mass.) was dealt the loss in a 6-inning performance. He allowed five runs on nine hits and struck out three batters.
The baseball team returns to Massachusetts and will host Rhode Island College on Tuesday (Mar. 27) at the New England Baseball Complex. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.