AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Worcester State University baseball team poured in a season-high 18 runs, highlighted by an Evan Fritze (Spencer, Mass.) grand slam in the fifth inning, as the Lancers defeated the Raptors of Bard College 18-8 Tuesday morning.
March 20, 2018
Lake Myrtle Field #5
Score: Worcester State 18, Bard 8
Records: Worcester State (2-8) | Bard (4-5)
After scoring two runs on two hits and one Raptor error in the top of the first inning, the Blue and Gold tacked on five runs on five hits and two Bard errors in the second for a 7-0 lead. Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.), Keith Dombroski (Sutton, Mass.), Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.), and Patrick Grow (Worcester, Mass.) accounted for the hits.
Bard scored their first run of the game in the bottom of the second inning when Chris Blake (Peabody, Mass.) homered.
The third inning brought in six additional runs for the Blue and Gold as the Lancers saw RBI from Ferrara, Grow and Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, Conn.).
In the top of the fifth inning, Fritze hit not only his first collegiate home run, but he sent in four runs on a grand slam for the 17-1 score.
Bard's Esteban Rivera (Bay Shore, N.Y.) hit home a run in the bottom of the eighth, and then the Raptors finished strong with six runs on six hits and one Lancer error. They saw singles from Nikolai Grumet (New York, N.Y.), Peter Oberg (Sutton, Mass.), Michael Uhle (Kennett Square, Pa.) and Ryan Chipman (Landenburg, Pa.) and saw doubles from David Schlosser (Thornhill, Ontario) and Eric Diaz (New York, N.Y.).
BY THE BOOK
- Worcester State's Palatino and Grow each had a perfect on-base percentage as they went 3-for-3 and reached on walks the other at bats. Grow also registered two stolen bases.
- Breton batted 3-for-4 and walked twice.
- Ferrara, Larkin, and Dombroski each totaled two hits apiece.
- Frizte led with a game-high four RBI while Ferrara and Larkin recorded three each.
- Bard's Schlosser led with a team-high three hits and Chipman logged a team-high two RBI in the setback.
- Worcester State's Matt Irzyk (Westfield, Mass.) earned the win on the mound as he pitched six innings and allowed just one run on three hits. He struck out four batters at the plate.
- Relief pitcher, Kyle Gray (Braintree, Mass.) saw three innings on the mound and allowed seven runs (one unearned) on nine hits. He struck out five batters.
- Steve Marotta (Harrington Park, N.J.) suffered the loss for Bard in a 2-inning performance.
The baseball team will take the day off tomorrow and resume play on Thursday (Mar. 22) against Hamilton and St. Olaf at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., respectively, at Lake Myrtle Park Field #5.